Pecking Order

• 13 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Pecking Order
« on: March 10, 2011, 23:05 »
Last week I merged my new girls (4x Goldlines) with my old girls (2x Amber + 1x leghorn).

lots of fun and games, but outlook optimistic.  :D (Pills starting to kick in.)

However, poor little Posy who gets it from everyone has started to pass it onto me! What did I do? I prefer to see myself as head hen, not hen No 8!

Is there anything I can do to look after Posy, but stop her trying to beat me up? She's got a hard and fast beak, y'know!

Vecten

• Experienced Member
Re: Pecking Order
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40 »
They say that dressing up as a cockerel or covering yourself in mustard helps.  :lol:

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49 »
learn how to crow and yell at her.

on the serious side. find a treat she really likes and slowly slowly she will come round. It took my ex bat about three months We called her purple bum cos she was sooooo got at by the others now I have to spray her so i can tell them appart. lol

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51 »
Hi
I think I read somewhere that stamping your feet when she comes at you will make her think you are the cockerel  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

wildwitchy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:27 »
press down on her back like a cockerel would, she'll soon get it the message.

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 16:41 »
Cheers everyone!

Vecten - do I take it you have your own rooster suit? :lol:

I'm going to try pressing her on her back first. At the moment they crowd me and I have already inadvertently stepped on a few toes. I tried going out barefoot, but to my girls my piggies resemble fat pink juicy worms. Ouch!  :(

I'm also going to try it on Edith, as she's being pretty mean at the mo.

Ta

Oakdalebirds1

• Experienced Member
  • 3 Girls need more......
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:24 »
Sorry but "EDITH" I have to say that’s the best hen name I have come across forever ( I’m sat at my computer imagining myself shouting that out to one very large Orp and have a smile a mile long)

Cheers  :tongue2: :tongue2:
3 girls .............very addictive these girls are becoming

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:09 »
Going in with bare feet - you are brave  :ohmy:  :lol:

If Posy comes at you, try picking her up.  If you get your hand underneath her you should be able to support her with one hand and keep her at arms length if the beak is still flashing  ;)  If she is quiet try stroking her - a cuddle is the last thing they expect when on the attack and it throws them off their game  :lol:

Pressing gently down on her back is a way of showing you are dominant, so that will work but expect her to protest loudly the first few times you try it.

If she is bottom of the pecking order, there is probably not much you can do to help her.  Someone has to be and chickens are very diligent at maintaining the hierachy.  It may shift when they start laying but as long as there is no serious pecking (blood/major feather loss) I'd leave them to sort that out  :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14 »
Sorry but "EDITH" I have to say that’s the best hen name I have come across forever ( I’m sat at my computer imagining myself shouting that out to one very large Orp and have a smile a mile long)

This supports my theory that chickens should be named after aunties.   ;)

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 13:16 »
"This supports my theory that chickens should be named after aunties.  Lindeggs "

Sorry to disappoint, but she was named after the actress Edith Evans who did a rather splendid portrayal of Lady Bracknell. Once seen never forgotten.

She's also a very attractive chicken (if I can say that and not get arrested), so there's another Edith: the mistress of Harold Goodwinson who was famed for her beauty and poise. (Harold was famed for an arrow, but that's another story!)

I'm now going to try the cuddle approach. I tried pressing down on Edith but she merely turned round and pecked me. Twice.

Just call me Number 8.

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 14:41 »

I think aunties these days are called Sharon or Crystal or Brooklynne or .....

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 19:35 »

I think aunties these days are called Sharon or Crystal or Brooklynne or .....

True.  So I named three of mine after my Great Aunties: Sylvia, Phoebe and Elsie.  Mum was disappointed that I left out her Aunty Isobel.  I think I need another chicken!

Whatever the origin, Edith is a wonderful chicken name.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 20:31 »

Just call me Number 8.

As long as you know your place  ;)   :lol:

outercircle

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23 »
My chickens are all named after aunties or elderly ladies of our acquaintance so nice to know I'm in good company. They're Edie, Betty, Ivy, Olive and Florrie. I had seemingly dozens of great aunts when I was little so I have loads more old lady names to choose from in case anyone needs any suggestions.

xx
pecking order

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 17:13
by Bodger
xx
Pecking order.

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 10:05
by shiatsusu
xx
Pecking order

Started by henrietta5 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 22:13
by henrietta5
xx
Pecking order

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 13:20
by mad mark

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.