Pecking Order.

• 1 Replies

markrsmurf

Pecking Order.
« on: July 08, 2007, 19:14 »
Have today collected our three new chooks, and even though they were all kept together along with numerous other girls in the the same pen, since being placed in their new home they are sorting out the new pecking order.
However the two largest are certainly picking on the smaller lass, and have plucked the feathers from a patch on the birds back drawing blood, she is trying to stay out of the way in the house.
This is causing concern to the wife who wants to remove the smaller one to save it from any more harm, I have told her it is best to leave it a couple of days and hopefully all will settle down once a new order is sorted.

Is this the best course ? any advice would be gratefully accepted.
Smurf

purplebat

Pecking Order.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 20:24 »
can you sepsarate them during the day with some chicken wire so they can see each other but not get to each other? Put them in the house together at night but separate them during the day, mine have had their squabbles but as a rule they don't draw blood (only once and that bird was poorly anyway) so I would remove her out of harms way, like I say make sure they can still see each other so they don't become strangers. Good luck and keep us posted
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

xx
The Pecking order

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 21:13
by freda
xx
pecking order

Started by VIZLA BLUE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 15:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Pecking order

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 17:59
by andy and deb
xx
pecking order

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 09:33
by SMD66

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.