Who's laying?

• 19 Replies

falcieri

Who's laying?
« on: January 10, 2011, 19:34 »
When I turned my garden into an allotment last year I got it into my head that keeping hens was a good idea. I always dreamed of the good life and though our garden is small and we live in a terraced house it all seemed to fall into place. Some friends keep and breed a variety of chicken breeds and suggested Bantams - Booted Bantams (Sablepoots) to be precise.

We live on a tight food budget so growing things in the garden AND getting free eggs sounded like a dream come true. So I bought three little Bantys towards the end of the summer. They weren't old enough to lay then, but the hard work and care has already paid off. Two of my three are already laying (I've had 3 eggs this week).

Who else's hens are laying already? I'm surprised they've started so soon. The winter has been bitter and although the temperatures have shown a marked improvement I fear there is more to come. We already have spring bulbs appearing in the garden too.  It feels like spring is on its way.

Those first eggs are very exciting!

Big Bird

Re: Who's laying?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 20:13 »
Three a day from my four, and that's becasue one of them is moulting.

However, they are hybrids and tend to lay 300ish a year each.

BB

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 20:20 »
None at all from mine :(

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 20:29 »
I have 3 laying at the moment, 1 is just coming out of a moult and should start within a month and the other two are two young. And the other two are boys so not really expecting anything from them!  :happy:
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 22:01 »
I am getting between 5 and 7 eggs a day in the nest boxes but I do know some are laying elsewhere - it's just a case of trying to find out where  ::). My little silkie x Claudette though has just decided to leave the trees and set up home in a coop so she is going to be broody for a few weeks again  >:( - she has a pattern of lay 3 eggs then go broody for about 6 weeks, partial moult, lay 3 eggs and so on  :lol:.
Staffies are softer than you think.

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:34 »
4 eggs a day out of 7 birds,  silkies and seramas :lol:

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:47 »
We are getting between 3 and 5 a day from the girls we hatched in June,

the 2 bantams aren't laying yet and our old lady Daisy has laid one huge double

yoker last week, as much as a surprise to us as it was to her as she is coming up to 4 yrs old and is an ex batt!
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Beano

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:51 »
Funny you should ask that this morning because I had a nice surprise of an extra egg this very morning. One of our pullets has been laying steadily since September but none of the others untill this morning. One of the old ladies layed  and she hasnt layed since Summer of last year YEY!
El.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:03 »
Mine are Hybrids & have had eggs from them all until last few days where a couple are laying every other day.

Knight Family

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:11 »
Well mine have stopped laying, for the last 11 weeks!! But thats because they went into a mass moult, then the snow, etc. We started getting 1 or 2 from the ex batts so I'm hoping they kick off soon, since people are chasing me for eggs each week!
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

PaulineM

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:52 »
Hi
3 of mine are laying but 2 of those are young pullets but one resumed laying 2 days after Christmas following her winter break!  :)
Roll on Spring  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

mr.mellow

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 13:14 »
I have 4 Hybrids and I get 4 eggs a day, sometimes I get 3 eggs in the nestbox and one in a nest made in the hedge behind a large tree.  ???

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 13:27 »
We only have two hens at present (two died during the autumn) and they had not laid any eggs since the summer of 2010. We really thought that their laying days were over. Then to our surprise they started laying again last week and we have been getting one or two eggs per day.

Dabhand

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 18:59 »
I've got 4 ex-batts and they are laying on average 3 a day.  One of my girls has her own special little place in the garden.  I found a clutch of 5 eggs by chance!  She goes to her special spot every day to lay and then I go and collect it :)

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 21:09 »
ive got 14 ex bats and have been getting around 8or9 eggs a day but for some reason but a pleasant suprise i got 13 eggs yesterday but back to 8 again today! the bantys havent laid for weeks but for last 2 years they have laid on the 18th of jan!

xx
All laying

Started by Trisha on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 08:45
by Trisha
xx
They're laying again!

Started by ghost61 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 19:34
by Kate58
xx
All laying!

Started by viettaclark on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 18:26
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Laying again!

Started by CluckyChicken on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 19:38
by Tigerwren

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 39 queries.