Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

PennyS

• My website
Re: Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2010, 21:40 »
Help!

I have been wanting to put up my MuntyFrame(tm) for weeks now and got OH to come down to the lotty today to help me.  I've got myself some nice solid treated timber (think it was 30mm x 30mm or so), but he had a paddy about being able to put drive the timbers in deep enough to really anchor them.   Our site can tend to be a bit windy.

Me being a bit of a bodger, had simply planned to bash in a shorter pole with a sledgehammer to make a good pole hole, then take that out and put the proper one in.  He reckons if I do that I won't be able to get the shorter pole out again.   At one point he mentioned postcrete but I pointed out that I want to be able to move this around for next year!

How do you guys fix your taller poles in securely?

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2010, 21:52 »
PennyS, I thought that this particular bean frame was meant to be permanent and there was no need to move it next year. 
Cheese makes everything better.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2010, 21:54 »
Ah thank you,  I've completely misunderstood then!  So OH wasn't completely doolally when he started talking metposts and stuff.

I might leave it until next year in case this isn't the right place to put it, the plans are still in a bit of flux ....

Bamboo canes it is then.  Might just do a lightweight version of the Munty in bamboo, if that works...

Thank you!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2010, 22:25 »
I do a X-Frame, rather than a A-Frame, which is a sort of poor-man's-Munty and also temporary, so more easily growing beans in a rotation scheme.

An A-Frame joins the canes at/near the top, whereas on my X-Frame the canes cross about 1/3rd of the way up. Just 2/3rds of the cane length the beans dangle-down on the outside of the X-frame, rather than hiding on the inside of an A-Frame.

(You need to bind the tops of the XFrame canes so they don't get caught by the wind, like an A-Frame, and also to cross-brace the outer sides of the X-0Frame so the weight of the beans doesn't pull the frame down :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2010, 07:42 »
Here's a picture - before I decided I needed cross-bracing, but you've got the idea I'm sure

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=38109.msg453850#msg453850

Spana

« Reply #230 on: May 14, 2010, 16:28 »
Mines made out of scaffolding :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #231 on: May 14, 2010, 20:09 »
Scaffolding  :ohmy:

Your real name's not JACK is it ?  :lol:

Spana

« Reply #232 on: May 14, 2010, 20:49 »
Scaffolding  :ohmy:

Your real name's not JACK is it ?  :lol:

:lol:

Its been up 9 years so you can say its long lasting.  Every couple of years OH unscrews the connections and moves it 2-3ft back , forward or to one side or the other, so i get different ground to plant into. :) it does me OK :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2010, 21:06 »
It's brilliant  :D

Salmo

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2010, 00:39 »
I have read through the postings and the advice is that the frame should face south. I may be a little slow on the uptake but does that mean the short poles are south or the long ones?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 14:58 by Salmo »

Trillium

« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2010, 00:54 »
The long ones.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #236 on: May 15, 2010, 09:41 »
OK, I'm being thick here.

If the short-poles were at the South side wouldn't the sloping upper face be towards the South, and the leaves growing up it get more sun?

Or doesn't that actually make any difference, and having the Long poles on the South side means that things growing under the Munty frame get some daylight?

Spana

« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2010, 09:51 »
The runner tips will always go towards the sun.  So if you have the short poles at the south side the runners would go up and then lean away from the top, if you get my drift. :lol: 
With the high pole on the south side, the leader goes up the short side string then leans towards the sun-the south- and over the top :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53 »
Good thinking, Kristen!

I've never quite understood that aspect of it myself but having tried it the recommended way I can say that it works, the best thing about it being that the plants don't all finish up in a congested tangle at the top and of course most (but not all!) of the beans just hang there waiting to be picked! Don't forget to plant any spare plants next to the long poles; even more beans!

(Spana has just come in with an explanation but I'll post this anyway!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

KT

• Experienced Member
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2010, 09:33 »
Quick question, on the bean frame when you tie in the strings and let them hang down do you attach them to something on the floor? or just leave them free hanging?

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 52 queries.