Cats and fleas!! advice needed

• 17 Replies

boosmummy

Cats and fleas!! advice needed
« on: November 13, 2011, 22:08 »
my cat has fleas!!! i wouldnt mind but im so rigourous about fleas they have flea collars, they have spot on treatments, but apparently there has been a problem with fleas this year, i know they've had them at boos school too.  it seems the dog may also have caught fleas off the cat.  Now i used bob martin which apparently is no good and when i went to the vet about the dog i asked about frontline and it was £19 for one cat! Now they sell it at pets at home, but the vet nurse said at the time its no good because its not strong enough and you should only buy it from the vet surgery.  is this true? or is she having me on? has anyone hear used frontline from the pet shop?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cats and fleas!! advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 22:16 »
yes  ;)

boosmummy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 22:17 »
yes  ;)

brill thanks ill go down tomorrow and get some then, and with a bit of luck the dog and the cat will stop scratting!!!! i wouldnt mind it seems the other cat (the evil one) he doesnt have a jot on him!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 22:56 »
supermarkets sell it as well

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 20:59 »
In case this helps in the future, at the minute we buy frontline and other meds online from the company below for both dogs. 

One of the dogs is on a lifelong prescription for his liver - £50 per month - saving £20 on vet price (and vet says this is ok! - mind you, at 15 and 14 we're regulars now at the vet, so every little bit helps!).

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/

There's others like petmed, and sometimes the prices vary from time to time between the companies - so shop around  :)

maxyboo

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 21:04 »
Frontline is frontline whoever you get it from. My vet is currently trying to persuade us to buy frontline combo instead. This has an added benefit of sterilsing the female flea so they can't breed thus breaking the cycle. Probably good if you are not regulalry using a flea treatment. However the combo version is prescription only so I can't help wondering if they are trying to get more money out of me.

Raven81

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 21:05 »
Just to throw a spanner in the works, it is known that the fleas have become immune to frontline in recent years.  My vet recommended using advantage or advocate, which seems to work for my lot.  The only advantage to frontline is it is the only spot on that treats ticks in cats, tho my view is that I'd rather keep the fleas away and remove the occasional tick!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 21:10 »
  My vet recommended using advantage or advocate, which seems to work for my lot.

Ours is saying that too, but we haven't yet switched, and they have both been flea free. 

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 22:45 »
I agree, I buy mine online and save a small fortune. But don't forget to spray the house too, the little critters love it when the central heating comes on... :blush:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

boosmummy

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:51 »
yep were all done the cats the house everything xx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 14:54 »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 15:26 »
Spray the house again in about 7-10 days time to kill any little critters that haven't hatched yet !

maxyboo

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 09:51 »
It's true that a lot of people are finding frontline is not effective anymore. It doesn't seem to be as effective on my cats as it used to be. I recently received an email from www.vetuk.co.uk saying advantage can now be bought without prescription. I haven't tried it myself but others say it is better than frontline.

spottymint

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 19:26 »
Spray the house again in about 7-10 days time to kill any little critters that haven't hatched yet !

You can get  furniture sprays which treat carpets ect for a couple of months.

Not for use on pets, but helps kill any eggs, lavae laying around.

NormandyMary

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 19:38 »
Just to throw a spanner in the works, it is known that the fleas have become immune to frontline in recent years.  My vet recommended using advantage or advocate, which seems to work for my lot.  The only advantage to frontline is it is the only spot on that treats ticks in cats, tho my view is that I'd rather keep the fleas away and remove the occasional tick!

Not only did my cats become immune to Frontline, all 3 of them developed scabs all over their bodies which also drove them mad. I took it upon myself to change to Advantage which I bought online. Within a few days, Phoebe who was riddled with fleas, was flea free and Tabitha and Freddie's backs cleared up within 10 days. I mentioned it to my vet, but she was reluctant to believe that Frontline was at fault, but Im convinced it was. Its about 2 months now since I started the Advantage and all are scab and flea free. Plus Advantage is cheaper. A double Whammy!!!

xx
Cat Fleas

Started by Amilo on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 18:32
by Amilo
xx
OMG we have fleas !!!

Started by barley on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post January 21, 2015, 13:13
by chrissie B
xx
Cat fleas

Started by viettaclark on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 20:00
by viettaclark
xx
Cat fleas.

Started by NormandyMary on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 22:45
by Raven81

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 40 queries.