After spuds?

• 13 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
After spuds?
« on: March 28, 2011, 14:40 »
Had a look round to see if I can find out the answer to this question so here goes.

I have planted second earlies in the garden as I had a surplice number of seed pots. I am wondering what can go in after I harvest the potatoes?

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: After spuds?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 15:26 »
Usually after 1st earlies but you could try French Beans or Leeks but grow them in modules to start.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 16:27 »
There's not much time left after 2nd earlies  :(
IMO it will be a bit late for leeks, you may get away with some speedy dwarf green beans, depends how long the warm weather lasts, like Terry says have them already growing in pots, ready to transplant. Or you could sow some Autumn King carrots.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 16:57 »
The seeds I sowed had 2nd early on the pack but if I harvest in about 10 weeks will this give me more scope as I was thinking leeks anyway if I will have enough time?

Cheers Bill

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 17:02 »
They may only be marble size at 10 weeks  :(
Gently dig around under 1 plant and see if there is anything worth lifting.If not...... then it's up to you, either leave them for a bit longer or scrap them to get your leeks in!

mrsparkle

• Experienced Member
    • Wonderland Tea Parties
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 20:16 »
Nice thread. I was wondering what I could put in after my first earliest which have already been in a week.

Would you suggest dwarf beans to fix the nitrogen and also be used as a green manure or would leeks be better?

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:53 »
Nice thread. I was wondering what I could put in after my first earliest which have already been in a week.

Would you suggest dwarf beans to fix the nitrogen and also be used as a green manure or would leeks be better?

Only planted leeks before and they have only grown to about 1in dia before winter.
I'm going to try the dwarf beans this year only because a friend gave me a packet of seed and my thoughts being, if I don't get any from them I can always dig them in. 

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 16:28 »
Thanks for the feedback. Based on the information gathered I have decided to leave the spuds as a main crop and put the leeks in the raised bed which I have split in half with one side growing carrots.

Cheers Bill

Gandan57

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21 »
Due to lack of space, as soon as my earlies are out I shall be planting the winter greens there. Not the proper crop rotation I know but nowhere else for them to go.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:22 by Gandan57 »
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Zippy

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08 »
I suggest following spuds with Green Manure crop Mustard as this will harden the wire worm cysts and prevent them from hatching on future potato crops. This can then be hoed off or will die back in winter and rot down anyway.

I then follow up with Winter Tares green manure crop to keep the soil covered over winter, build nitrogen and hold the soil structure until next spring.

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 19:24 »
I grew winter squash in ground that became vacant when the last of the first and second earlies were lifted. I'd started the squash off in pots first, so they were a fair size and had a good start. Worked OK so I'll do that again this year.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 20:04 »
Don't know if it's right or wrong but after the spuds I cover the ground in a good few barrows of manure, then dig it in in October and plant my broad beans in that spot in November (lots of broad beans!)

When this year's broad beans come out in June / July I'll stick some cabbages, kale etc in there.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 20:08 »
I grew winter squash in ground that became vacant when the last of the first and second earlies were lifted. I'd started the squash off in pots first, so they were a fair size and had a good start. Worked OK so I'll do that again this year.

Good plan (our climate and summers aren't as good or as long as the seed catalogues would like us to believe!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 22:33 »

Good plan (our climate and summers aren't as good or as long as the seed catalogues would like us to believe!  :)

And, unfortunately, sometimes not as pretty!  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Blight resistant spuds and spuds in buckets?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 16:36
by shokkyy
xx
Spuds glorious Spuds

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 22:18
by digalotty
xx
Spuds are up!!

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 12:35
by Celtic Eagle
xx
I have put some spuds in!

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2019, 11:03
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.