Guess it's my turn for red mite!

• 2 Replies

Goldfinger

Guess it's my turn for red mite!
« on: July 30, 2011, 22:10 »

On the clean out today, I've discovered my first red mite.  :unsure:

Now then, I'd like some pointers on the 'routine' to the getting rid of them, (or just to control them).

I have them in the brick out-building in our back garden with their run built onto it.

I've got some poultry shield ready and have a pressure washer (where the evil/twisted emo-icon when you need one   :tongue2: ).

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Guess it's my turn for red mite!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 22:22 »
Hillfooters diatom slurry recipe http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81422.04

If your hen house is all brick with nothing flamable you could give it a blast with a blow torch in the areas you know the red mites are hiding.  Sure they won't survive that.  Just be really carefull if you try this as I accept no responsibility for any accidents.   :tongue2:

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Guess it's my turn for red mite!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 22:44 »
Pressure washers are no good, they'll just wash the mites somewhere else.  Steam cleaners are good as the mites won't survive such hot water.  I've used my little steam cleaner on removable perches, but not actually on the henhouses.

I've also used a blow lamp, very carefully!

We've just had a bad infestation in our biggest house, which luckily was almost empty, so we moved the remaining girls out, and we bought some fumers, put 3 in there, taped all the vents over and set them off!  I then sprayed poultryshield all over it, inside and out, but its still taped up.  I'm going in to look tomorrow to see if I've got them all.  then all the perches and what cracks I can reach, I'll coat with the slurry mix.

Richy Rich paints the ends of his perches with paraffin, but not a good idea to use the blow lamp afterwards!   :lol: :lol:

Hope you get rid of them!

xx
Things never quite turn out as planned

Started by ness on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 11:45
by Jellyhead
xx
How early to cocks turn on hens

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 13:53
by evie2
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
what colour will these littles fluffies turn out? Any ideas?

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 23:04
by rosie14

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 35 queries.