Pullets stopped laying

• 5 Replies

Roseberry

Pullets stopped laying
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:13 »
I'm new to this so please forgive any faux pas I may commit.   :blush:

I need information and haven't known where to go, or who to approach, to find a possible answer.  Found this wonderful site today and I suspect that I will be spending a lot of time browsing here.  I have kept laying hens for well over ten years.  Successfully bred Rhode Island Reds and Guinea Fowl so I am not a complete novice (though there is a vast amount I can still learn).  At the moment I have thirteen (lucky for some) hybrid laying pullets that came into lay about four months ago.  They are healthy happy birds which are well-fed and well-maintained.  The days are lengthening (southern hemisphere) and to my knowledge, they have received no shocks or traumas.  My problem is they suddenly stopped laying - all of them - over a two day period.  For two weeks - hardly an egg, and then yesterday half of them laid and today they seem to be back in full production.  A further piece of information is that I had a seriously disgruntled employee who left the day prior to the cessation of eggs and I would like to know if there is anything that can be fed to hens (or put in their water) that will cause such a dramatic occurence.  People I have spoken to about this are sceptical that anybody would deliberately sabotage my hens.  I, on the other hand, can think of no other rational explanation.   Oh, and two hens that I was keeping in isolation for a neighbour were the only ones not affected.  Is there anybody on this forum who can cast a light?  Thankyou for your time.

bantam novice

Re: Pullets stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43 »
Hello Roseberry, welcome to the forum  :)  Lots of good experienced people here to give you advice.  I am not that experienced; however I would think that some kind of shock or upset might stop your hens laying and starting again when they had settled.  I am sure that more experienced people will be along with suggestions.  In the meantime good luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 13:12 »
sometimes they can be laying elsewhere, other times mites and lice can stop them laying also check that nobody or thing is stealing the eggs (human or bird), as mentioned shocks can stop them - whether from an animal (2 or 4 legged) or preditory bird, and partial moults.
Welcome by the way  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

cornishgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 19:54 »
Um I would say your disgruntled ex employee stole the eggs - revengeee...

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 20:27 »
Was the employee the person who looked after your hens on a regular basis? If so the hens may well have got very used to them being around and the change in their routine may have upset the hens although that might all be clutching a straws for an answer to you problem.

Roseberry

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 14:06 »
Thankyou for your replies - it is really great to have people to talk to about my hens.  They seem to be recovering and I am keeping my fingers crossed.  It has been the most mystifying experience and I will forever believe they were sabotaged but I just can't figure out how!  Heavens above! Hybrid layers are egg machines, they don't all just go on strike!

Not possible that the eggs were stolen.  I am at home all the time and check three/four times during the day.  They usually free-range but always come back to the coop to lay, but when this started I kept them in their run where they will remain (it is a big run, they will be fine).  The only connection the employee had with my hens was to receive two dozen free eggs a week!  Anyway, if anybody ever hears of anything that can be fed to hens to stop them laying I will be pleased to hear about it.  Not necessarily what the substance is - just that something exists.  Won't prove anything, of course, but will make me feel better.
Thanks again. Rosy

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Pullets: irregular laying

Started by chickendance on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 11:01
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Stopped Laying

Started by chloe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:18
by darkbrowneggs
xx
Hen stopped laying

Started by dugless on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 21:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 36 queries.