Strawberries

• 3 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Strawberries
« on: October 31, 2008, 17:32 »
My friend gave me some strawberry plants earlier in the year - they are in a large pot and have several runners trailing down the sides.

What should I be doing with them now? Do they need bringing in or protecting from frost? Someone told me I could get the runners to make new plants but the pot is now full - can I chop them off and get them to root in another pot?

Sorry if this is really basic!
L.x.

sclarke624

Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 18:57 »
hi first time.
strawberries are pretty hardy you can leave them out no protection needed.  As for the runners easier to root and more successful if you can somehow, without chopping off, root the plantlets into another little pot.  Hold the plantlet down with a couple of bent paper clips or similar.  After three or so weeks the plantlet should have rooted, you can then sever baby from mother.

I have however noticed on some sites it saying make plantlets by 1st week of September..........so not sure on that one, but you shouldn't leave them on the plant as they will sap the energy from the mother.

I keep mine in large troughs, I did that amongst other things because it is easier to get a little pot near them to make new plants.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry.asp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_strawberries2.shtml

http://www.doctorgreenfingers.co.uk/Growing_Vegetables_help_advice/Growing-strawberries.html

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/strawberries.asp
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Strawberries
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 14:32 »
Thanks, that's great info.

Lots of the runners rooted straight back into the large pot as there was only a couple of plants in there. So I think I will chop these runners off and then see if they root in another pot - If they don't I haven't really lost anything.

L.x.

sclarke624

Strawberries
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 00:54 »
Your welcome

If they have rooted in the same pot then you can leave them where they are if there is room or dig up and repot.  So yeah sever from mother plant, there should be one stem/stork/line (whatever you call it) with the plantlet on the end which as you say has rooted itself back into pot.  

I started with six last year I now have loads of plants had to give some away.  I have about five to a three foot trough.  Fed with a few chicken pellets when potted.  Fed with some tomatoe food when in fruit.  Strawberries sitting on the soil will rot hence the reason people put straw below them, I just use a piece of fleece which allows water to soil, anything that lets water through to soil and keeps strawberries above it will do.  Another bit of advice I have heard is pick a couple of days after heavy rain as lots of rain/water dilute the taste of the fruit.......this is easier said than done when it rains so often.

xx
Strawberries

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:51
by richyrich7
thumbup
Strawberries

Started by perisama on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 22:20
by Junie
xx
Strawberries??

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 23:34
by viettaclark
xx
Strawberries

Started by paj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 35 queries.