Green manure ... can I sow some now ?

• 6 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Green manure ... can I sow some now ?
« on: August 29, 2014, 22:07 »
This has been my first year with an allotment and although i have had some nice vegetables, I did make mistakes so hope for a better return next year.

Is it worth sowing some green manure seeds now and if so, which would be the best option.

thanks !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Green manure ... can I sow some now ?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 22:23 »
I sowed some buckwheat 10 days ago and it is all showing now. 
I think you can put anything in, let it grow and either cut it back or let the frosts kill it and turn it into the soil. 
One year I emptied all my old pea and bean seeds onto a bed and let the winter take the plants into the soil.
The Sow Seeds website has advice as to what is best for different purposes https://www.sowseeds.co.uk/
Anne

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 23:56 »
Depends what you want to achieve?

If you want a quick crop to cover the ground, improve structure and soak any left over nitrogen then sow mustard or phacelia. They will be hit by winter weather but may survive through to the Spring. Either dig them in late Autumn or, on light soil, wait until early Spring. Trample them down and run a mower or strimmer over them to make digging easier. These are not difficult to dig in anyway and a few bits left sticking up will not matter.

The alternative is something like winter tares, field beans or one of the mixtures sold widely. Avoid mixtures with grazing rye as this can be difficult to dig in. These crops are best left left until late Spring or early Summer to allow them to produce a decent bulk. Plan that they go where you will not need the ground early e.g. where brassicas are going to be planted. The digging needs to be of a higher standard as some of these crops will regrow if not properly buried

Other green manures such as clovers really need to be planted earlier so that they are well established for the Winter and dug in late Spring or Summer. Useful where ground needs a rest.

Robster

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:29 »
Ooo errr.  Salmo.  Ive just sowed grazing rye to cover my ground where I want to put my brassicas next year.  To be fair my plan was to let it grow cut it down mid spring and add manure cover with WSF and plant through late spring.

Its my first year with green manure and I used a crimson clover for a new patch I acquired this year.  It was an absolute delight with all the insects it and the weeds attracted

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 12:44 »
Ive just sowed grazing rye to cover my ground where I want to put my brassicas next year.  To be fair my plan was to let it grow cut it down mid spring and add manure cover with WSF and plant through late spring.
If you cover it with Weed Membrane for a few weeks, in the Spring, that will make it easier to dig in (assuming you want to bother, I reckon you could just plant-through the membrane).

Grazing Rye releases a chemical that will inhibit germination of some small seeds, no problem if you are planting out some plants, but worth considering a gap between digging in and sowing seed direct.  I don't think Brassica seed would a problem, but it would be worth double checking [if you are going to sow seed direct]

Robster

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:50 »
Thanks Kristen I did not know that about the rye suppressing germination-interesting and useful knowledge.  I'll be planting out brassicas grown in pots.  I find this generally best as the whitefly seem to stop things growing well initially so a good start first works for me

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 36 queries.