Fruit woes - advice needed.

• 3 Replies

PlymouthMaid

Fruit woes - advice needed.
« on: October 05, 2010, 16:31 »
Hello,
I have two fruity problems requiring expert advice:

1) my autumn bliss rasperries (in their second year) hardly fruited this year. They were cut back and manured last autumn. We were a bit disappointed as we actually did get a few last year.

2) my blueberry bush which lives in a big tub in the yard with ericaceous compost refused to even open its leaf buds this year let alone fruit. It is far from dead and the leaves are still on it all furled up.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

SG6

Re: Fruit woes - advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 18:56 »
Can only think that the raspberries were not damp enough. They don't like getting dry. Some often recommend 2" of mulch so the ground doesn't get dry.

Blueberry, possibly the same, they like to be wet all the time and the water has to be rain water. Tap water will kill them off pretty quick. Could someone have watered it with water from a tap?

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:24 »
1) I don't have autumn fruiting raspberries, but I do know that it depends on which bit you cut back which is different to summer fruiting raspberries - maybe you cut this year's potential crop back by mistake? 

2) Blueberries - could be a watering issue, maybe location of pot (too exposed, not enough sun, heatwave ... ) or with it being in a pot, possibly vine weevils?
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21 »
1) I don't have autumn fruiting raspberries, but I do know that it depends on which bit you cut back which is different to summer fruiting raspberries - maybe you cut this year's potential crop back by mistake? 

Not possible with autumn fruiting raspberrries.

They are "primocane" and fruit on the canes thrown up in the early part of the year. They should be completely pruned down after fruiting.

A lot have folk have had poorer crops this year and I think it's a watering issue.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Aldi Fruit canes - Advice needed please

Started by Mafro on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 18:39
by cAnAry53
xx
fruit help needed please

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 23:06
by JayG
xx
Info needed on fruit trees/bushes

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 03:33
by DopeyAlex
xx
advice needed please.....

Started by Piccolo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 22:13
by Piccolo

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 34 queries.