Blackfly on Courgettes?

• 3 Replies

Chris & Yasmin

Blackfly on Courgettes?
« on: June 23, 2006, 19:09 »
Hi there!

We have a little problem with blackfly on courgettes!  Has anyone else had problems with this and do you know what the cause is and how we can get rid it?  Someone has suggested spraying soapy water?? We do have them in pots (which we realise is not ideal but we do not have anymore space on our allotment!)  

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Yasmin & Chris

Jake

• Rockers
Blackfly on Courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 11:02 »
Sorry I don't have much advice but I had blackfly on my broadbeans but they are still producing pods. The plants look mottled but the pods seem fine.

Attracting certain beetles like ladybird would probably be a good move if you are against a chemical or organic spray. Someone once told me that strong tea with a bit of washing up liquid in is a good measure but I haven't tried this myself.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Chris & Yasmin

Blackfly on Courgettes?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 18:32 »
I'll let you know if the soapy water works. I have been told that if you sow broad beans before Christmas you wont attract blackfly.

Jake

• Rockers
Blackfly on Courgettes?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 19:01 »
Quote from: "Chris & Yasmin"
I'll let you know if the soapy water works. I have been told that if you sow broad beans before Christmas you wont attract blackfly.

Actually, now you say it I was told that too. I did it but something ate them, not insects but mice or birds or something.

I was going to try the soapy tea thing this year in the garden but apart from a minor problem with aphids early on in the year we haven't had much to worry about. Lots of ladybirds though, at home and at the plot.

Last year I put bits of old wood like tree prunings in discrete little piles here and there. Some dried leaves too. There are loads of ladybirds there because they like that sort of environment to live in when its cold. Beware though, they attract lots of woodlice but I find them not to do too much damage apart from the odd strawberry feast.

clip
Blackfly on courgettes

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2020, 16:41
by JayG
xx
Blackfly on tomatoes and courgettes

Started by Balhambird on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 23:43
by love-my-plot
xx
blackfly

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 04, 2006, 21:27
by noshed
xx
blackfly... help!

Started by clarabel on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 22:24
by clarabel

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 34 queries.