Beetroot

• 3 Replies

Andymack

Beetroot
« on: June 22, 2006, 20:01 »
Hello everyone, very very new to all this, at the mo i am relatively successful at growing a few new potatos i planted with the help and encouragment of my girls, spring onions and cherry and normal tomatos, would love to grow some beetroot, i believe they are a winter root veg?? When and how should i go about growing them?
Regards Andy :)

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 21:22 »
There is still plenty of time to sow beetroot and they should germinate quite quickly at this time of the year. The seeds are infact a cluster of seeds so sow sparingly and thin to about 2 inches (5 cm).  I start to use them when they are about the size of a ping-pong ball. If you harvest alternate plants it means that those remaining will be about 4 inches apart and allowed to grow a little bigger (to between a golf  and tennis ball size)

Whilst I would not describe tham as a winter vegetable they will keep in the ground until the onset of heavy frosts, however, they store well in damp sand or peat in a garage or shed.
Ah well ! There is always next year !

supersprout

• Experienced Member
Beetroot
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 06:38 »
Hi andymack, sow your beetroot little and often from April to September (I sow once every three weeks) to enjoy young tender beet all summer long. The later sown ones will overwinter in store :tongue2:

Jake

• Rockers
Beetroot
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 11:34 »
This is really good to know btw. I had just assumed I'd blown it with the beets. Very happy now.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

xx
Beetroot

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 18:21
by wendycas
xx
Beetroot

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 22:40
by Anton
xx
Beetroot

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 20:01
by gavinjconway
xx
Beetroot

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 11:45
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 38 queries.