How to Cook Swiss Chard & Butternut Squash Question

• 4 Replies

Moomin Mama

« on: October 06, 2008, 11:54 »
We have cut some Swiss Chard from the allotment and are hoping to use some of it with tea tonight with Roast Beef - any ideas on how to cook ?  I've never had Swiss Chard before !

Also my Buttnernut Squashes have finally started growing and we cut one yesterday that is yellow/green colour and about 15cm long.  it is nowhere near as big as those in the shops - is it actually ripe or is it just a small butternut squash ?

Moomin Mama

Swing Swang

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 13:04 »
Strip the chard leaves from their stalks (which can be steamed like asparagus and drizzled with garlic butter – two veg for the price of one!) and wilt/cook the greens in a pan with a little olive oil (just like you would spinach).

To take it to the next level layer the wilted chard with a little cheese (a full fat, soft, sheep’s cheese is my preference, but brie/camembert works well too) not forgetting to sprinkle some on the top too. Bake at about 180C for about 20mins.

SS

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:37 »
That does sound good! You could also do a similar thing but cover the chard in a bechamel sauce before finishing under the grill.

I think the important thing is not to boil the leaves otherwise they're pretty disappointing. I usually just fry a clove or garlic in butter before adding the leaves and stir frying until they're cooked. A sprinkling of black pepper to finish.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 22:17 »
i like cooking the stems chopped in a pan in a little water the evaporating the water (or draining)when they're tender, then adding and wilting chard leaves with a tsp (or more to taste) of chilli sauce/lazy cheats chilli in a jar.  

sometimes i then top with a poached egg.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 22:32 »
Re your butternut squash - if it's a bit green i wonder if it was fully ripe too? I thought my pumpkins weren't doing very well - until i remembered i'd planted a baby variety :D  The more water you give them the bigger they'll get I suppose

xx
Butternut Squash Question

Started by Hey Jude on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 15:37
by paintedlady
xx
Butternut Squash Question - Do I leave well alone

Started by skippi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 08, 2010, 11:50
by Marston
xx
swiss chard

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 29, 2011, 12:20
by sunshineband
xx
Swiss Chard

Started by rockyracoon on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 13:07
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 35 queries.