japanese knotweed!!!!!

• 26 Replies

chickenlittle

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 20:12 »
really!!!!
the amount I've got I should be drunk enough to not worry about it for years!!!!

I always thought it was poisonus??

I'm thing of running  few goats (when f&M is over) on the land now to keep it down (even though they won't get rid ouf it)
will they be ok to eat it???
beer! helping uglee birds get laid since 1765

muntjac

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 20:21 »
i would read this as it offers some evidence that goats and other ruminants can eat it
http://www.gcswcd.com/stream/knotweed/reports/litreview/JKandwaterquality.pdf
still alive /............

Bernard

• Experienced Member
japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 22:01 »
Quote from: "shaun"
if its on council owned land they are responsible for removing it and that goes for any land owner.

Does that mean that they are legally obliged to remove it? It seems to me that having responsibility and being obliged to take action are not the same thing. I certainly have not seen any removal of the stuff in this part of the world.

muntjac

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 22:02 »
it isa notifiable weed so get onto them .and demand action under defra rules and regs ..werksfor me .... :wink:  :lol:

shaun

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 22:21 »
its all to do with money what they have to do and what they actually do are 2 different things.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

littleorchard

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21 »
I wouldn't fancy eating it for fear of it growing inside me!

We have had some in the garden, from next door, it is a nightmare but caught early we seem to have got rid of it. Poison and carefully dig up the root and then burn it - i thought best option to stop it returning from the dead!  :twisted:

You have to be really careful messing with the roots though as it will grow from the smallest piece.  Horrible stuff.

fatbelly

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 08:56 »
Been reading about this Knotweed on the Defra site and its one bad mother. It makes Mares Tail seem like a tender tomato seedling. Also my weed control fabric option would only stop growth for that season and it would pop back up in subsequent seasons.

There is a picture on the Defra site of Knotweed but not a particularly good one does any body have a better picture so I can keep an eye out for it on my site.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

gobs

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 09:27 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
it isa notifiable weed so get onto them .and demand action under defra rules and regs ..werksfor me .... :wink:  :lol:

So it seams, from defra FAQ, that they are very concerned about it on paper, where ever it grows, except for allotments :?:  :?:  :?:  :roll:  :roll:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 10:17 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
Been reading about this Knotweed on the Defra site and its one bad mother. It makes Mares Tail seem like a tender tomato seedling. Also my weed control fabric option would only stop growth for that season and it would pop back up in subsequent seasons.

There is a picture on the Defra site of Knotweed but not a particularly good one does any body have a better picture so I can keep an eye out for it on my site.

If I see any when I am out and about I will take a photo and post it so you can see what it looks like this time of year  :lol:

fatbelly

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 10:20 »
Quote from: "Welsh Girls Allotment"
Quote from: "fatbelly"

If I see any when I am out and about I will take a photo and post it so you can see what it looks like this time of year  :lol:

Thanks...........

WG.

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 10:29 »
Grannieannie posted a piccie in http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4175 but it seems to be unavailable at the moment

littleorchard

japanese knotweed!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 11:36 »
Apparently another good way to get rid - when it is in it's larger cane form is to make a hole in it (as it's a bit like bamboo and hollow in the middle) and get a Syringe and put the weed killer (amicide) directly in the inside of it, that's what next door did, it seemed to work well.

xx
Japanese Knotweed

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

75 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 05:17
by Growster...
xx
Japanese knotweed

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 22:03
by Wildeone
xx
Japanese Onion

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 18:02
by Yorkie
xx
Japanese wineberry

Started by asd1 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 21:09
by asd1

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.