tv chefs what a bunch of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejits

• 84 Replies

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17 »
can you find the sun John and put it in your suitcase!!! Getting Very fed up with this greyness and rain.  Even had to light the woodburner Sunday......what is going on?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2007, 11:37 »
We'll do our best to bring some good weather with us.  We're going to be in Cussac so hope the fine weather will spill south for you.

It's not much better here - April like July, May like February ... weird.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2007, 11:46 »
hey, what a small world, we aren't much further south....only just in Dordogne.  My husband is working near Dournazac this week.  We know your area fairly well, we have friends near Oradour sur vayre.  If you are ever in vicinity of Nontron or Brantome or Angouleme pop in for a cup of tea!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2007, 12:04 »
You be careful what you wish for :)

Normally I drive down but it's a bit tiring so we decided to fly to Limoges and hire a car for the trip. It actually works out about the same cost as ferry and fuel plus an overnight in the  B&B to do it this way. Hopefully, I won't spend 2 days recovering from the drive.

Normally we wouldn't go at this time but I think it will do Val some good to relax with an old pal.

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2007, 12:15 »
Did you watch the f-word last night? Janet street-porter went via limoges to somewhere in dordogne to a foie gras farm, and then onto an ethical foie gras farm in spain.  Funny seeing places you know on telly out of the blue!
It looks like it is going to cheer up a bit and warm up at the weekend, but maybe more rain next weekend. I quite like the meteo orange site, find it fairly reliable

have a lovely break.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2007, 12:58 »
No we missed Mr Ramsey's show - I find it funny too when you see places. The Royal Courts of Justice and a pub in Paddington seem to pop up a lot.

just hope the weather improves. Been looking up the flight info as haven't flown for nearly 2 years. Crazy. I dare say we'll have to get on the plane in our birthday suits next.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2007, 13:01 »
how can those farmers and gordon say that fois gras isn't cruel?  even JSP thought it was cruel and had trouble watching the geese in france,  so that says something i think!  given that last week she had a horse slaughtered and then tried to get punters at cheltenham to try it!!

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2007, 13:11 »
personally I have never tried it, and unless I have it unknowingly I will probably never try it.  I ate no meat except chicken and fish before we moved here, but it is pretty impossible to eat out sometimes, the 'vegetarian' pizza or salad have usually got ham on,  so I have learnt that I quite like a little ham now and then....but I don't go for gesiers or veal or anything like that......usually take the fish option if there is one.
Went for aperos at someone's house once, and they were dishing out andouillettes....hideously horrid sausage which was cold and white, I managed a slice.....downed my awful sweet wine (which was immediately topped up)and out the corner of my eye, saw my hubby grinning like a cheshire cat.
We took some friends back to bergerac airport a few weeks back, I bought bottles of water for their journey (costs a fortune on the plane) but they weren't allowed to take them on board......wondered why there were loads of bottles lined up outside by the bin :roll:.  Hope flying works out better for you John, it is a long drive.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2007, 10:37 »
Different cultures find different things acceptable - I watched a thing on Brits in China where the honoured guest was offered donkey's dong.  Arghhh

I don't think the production of foie gras by force feeding is acceptable but neither do I think the production of battery chickens, ducks etc is acceptable in this country. It still goes on and the only real action we can take is to vote with our wallets.

As for flying, well we can go a couple of hours without a drink, meal, ciggy etc. Just hope the loo is free :) Take this plane to Cuba or I splash the water around..

Jellycakesforme

« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2007, 03:31 »
Quote from: "tetley"

I had never dreamt of growing veg before I came here, always thought my garden was too small, now of course I realise that it can never be too small.  You don't have to have an allotment either.
There must be so many people with the same outlook I had, and they are all missing out!
I persuaded my brother in law last year,to grow some veggies.....actually I think he thought....well if she can do it........ :lol:  they haven't got a big garden, but he grew beans and tomatoes for his first batch, and he is going to expand on that this year.

We grew jam melons this year in between an osmanthus and something like mondo grass hedge.  They are amazing plants.  Still trying to use up the melons, but are really enjoying what we made so far, ie pickles, jam and chutney.  Those things do add to a cheese sandwich etc. quite a lot.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 38 queries.