tv chefs what a bunch of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejits

• 84 Replies

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2007, 09:31 »
Both my daughter and I are coeliacs and finding preprepared food that doesn't have gluten in can be a nightmare. As a result I cook most meals from scratch. She loves being involved with cooking so we encourage her and let her help where it's safe. Every week we bake something together, but I know so many people with kids her age that never cook from scratch and wouldn't have a clue how to bake, so how are their kids going to learn?

As a parent I want to feed her healthily, but find it so difficult. We often end up having to buy my 3 year old an adult meal to get her something she can eat. My frustration is that if we're out and about fast foods are largely out and most children's pub menus seem to only offer burgers, nuggets and chips, none of which she can eat safely. Why can't they offer a jacket potato or smaller portions real meat?

I'm sure I'm not the only parent who doesn't want to feed my child all the cheapest bits of meat mixed with extra fat formed into a nugget or burger.
Em x

not organic, but cutting down on the chemicals

WG.

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2007, 09:45 »
Nice post that, emmalm.  I agree with all you write.  Cheaper cuts of beef are a favourite in this household ... maybe long slow pot-roasting of a nice piece of brisket / topside or shoulder with its own fat attached.  ... handful or two of shallots, carrot and parsnip for the last 40 minutes.   ... a lovely rich gravy from the juices.  Stovies with the leftovers

Not that brisket is particularly cheap ...  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2007, 09:47 »
Please don't take this as gloating, but no.2 daughter has just finished a 4 year course in hospitality & catering. What she can't knock up now is no one's business. She now crosses the road to walk past MacDonalds.

She spends most of her time around her mate's houses now instead of boring parents and enjoys cooking for them, so hopefully some of it will rub off and we won't have a totally junk food generation.

(I like to think my veggies have rubb off one her - well she's always asking for them).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2007, 10:19 »
i know it may not be positive in 99% of ways but having an eating disorder has helped me learn to cook.

because i now cook all my own food, i've learnt a lot and when you cook for yourself it makes you think of new combinations otherwsie you get bored of the same thing.

i think many young people still living at home probably get served up the family meal and accept it - or go buy take aways or ready meals etc (something i could certainly not consider).

i'm not sure many 20 yr olds would go out to the garden, pick some rhubarb and stew it like i did the other night....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2007, 11:54 »
I think another problem is people living on their own. I can basically cook and will happily cook for us both but if it's just me on my own.. bread and cheese will do or beans on toast.
Back in the dark ages when I was single I did cook things occaisonally just for me. I expect in those circumstances now I'd be in the ready meal club. Vesta, as I recall!!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

David.

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2007, 16:49 »
I've just read this thread through and was surprised to read that children don't learn cookery at school any more.

My daughter started secondary school last year and has cookery lessons, but they are called "Food Tecknology", but consisted of preparing and cooking:

Baked Beans on Toast
Beefburger in a Bun
Scones
Pizza
Quiche
Pasties

She brought all of the home (except the beans on toast) to share with us and they were as good as you can get. My daughter both continues and enjoys to make these meals for home.

Howver, she has been regularly cooking with my wife since she was 2, when even standing on a small stool, her nose just reached worktop level, and my wife was working full time.

Blame the parents, not the schools or TV chefs.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2007, 09:09 »
I think that we have to blame parents for not involving their children in growing veg, preparing and cooking meals and other household tasks.

Both my children were involved when they were little and as they grew up they took on responsibilities such as cooking once a week,with my support if needed.

My son at 27 has always cooked for himself and his flatmates and now my daughter does the same.

She has worked out that she can make a pot of bolognese for example then freeze into single portions , if she fancies chilli con carne she adds chilli powder when  heating it .

They both recognise the value of knowing what you are eating.

I do nt think we can expect schools to do much in the limited time allocated for food technology , children need to be able to develop their skills and this takes time and practice as with everything.

Too many parents do not accept that they too, play a part in the way their children develop and learn, school is only a part of that process.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

David.

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2007, 12:58 »
Quote from: "corndolly"
I think that we have to blame parents for not involving their children in growing veg, preparing and cooking meals and other household tasks

My wife and 2 other parent/grandparents ran a lunchtime gardening club for the year 4 children at the village school, but also involving some children in other classes, growing vegetables & flowers. They also set up a composting scheme.

The children ate the vegetables they grew and cooked themselves, went home and aked their parents to grow them. They loved growing early potatoes in old compost bags and keeping them topped up. When they were finally tipped out they were amazed at the sight.

A spin off has been a seperate cooking at lunchtime on another day.

So parents really can make a difference.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2007, 10:44 »
Sounds Great David !

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2007, 14:23 »
It doesn't help when a lot of younger parents can't cook either!  even not so young, look at the dinner ladies on Jamie's school dinners!  Most of them were limited to burger and chips too.

I've always liked cooking, but being divorced and full time worker when my girls were younger, it was my mum who looked after them until I got home and she did all the cooking, but she never had much patience and when I asked her to get the girls involved in things around the house, she'd say yes, then when I was at work, she kept saying to them oh let me do it, its quicker!!!  So neither of them had much interest in cooking, although my youngest daughter is now a bit more adventurous, but the elder one just feeds her 2 little boys on c**p, luckily, she lives with her boyfriend's parents, and they feed the boys most of the time.

But it was my Dad who was the good cook, my brother used to say I don't know which was lumpier, Mum's mashed potatoes, cabbage or gravy!!!!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2007, 10:34 »
That's why the schools should provide cookery lessons. It strikes me that some 'basic' life skills would make a huge difference to many people.
Glad to say our daughter served us a lovely meal yesterday.

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2007, 18:10 »
its not only the food thats changed over the years its the art of sitting down round a table and talking about your day :) .we always make sure we sit down for our evening meal together,but i guess we are lucky as hubby finishes work at 3pm and kids always eat better at the table :) .we often have a glass of wine at mealtimes as well and our 13 year old has been known to sometimes have a small white wine with a bit of lemonade in to dilute it :) ,i dont believe (as some so called professionals say )she will be become a alcoholic because of it but a young lady who enjoys and appreciates a sensible drink,after spending holidays on the continent i find it no surprise that we are where we are at in this country :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 08:47 »
Be careful, they're wanting to make giving your own child a drink illegal.  Much better than teaching them responsible use of alcohol is to wait until they can go and neck a bottle of vodka....

Nice to sit as a family, we always do. My wife, me and three cats. They never miss our meal :)

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2007, 09:42 »
we always sit round the table as a family too, always have done.  When we finally signed for this place, we were taken out for an evening meal by the two brothers who sold it, their famillies, our children, the estate agent and his wife.................and their dog :shock:  
with all this food awareness going on lately, I am sure the new generation of kids will all be good cooks, and go 'back to basics'...what goes around comes around usually.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04 »
I think you may be right there, Tetley.

I'll be a few miles up the road from you next week (yes getting excited now!)

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.