Rose Varieties for Cut Flower

• 11 Replies

garddwr

Rose Varieties for Cut Flower
« on: May 05, 2010, 23:13 »
Hi,

Can anyone reccomend a few varieties of roses for cutting ? I want a few different colours and a real rose bush not the patio types

Thanks

Trillium

Re: Rose Varieties for Cut Flower
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:06 »
Any of the hybrid teas are bred for cutting. So many varieties out there that it's all dependent on what colour you want.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36 »
Hi,

I want a few different colours and a real rose bush not the patio types

Thanks

Thats been a dream of mine as well :)
Picking big beautiful blousie scented roses, laying them carefully in a basket to carry into the house and arranging them without any effort in a blue and white bowl.  I'd probably be wearing a straw hat as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

In reality i put in 6 David Austin English roses and they've been rubbish >:( Nice to dream tho :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats one in my avatar :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:39 by Spana »

diggerjoe

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03 »
Before I knew any better and when we first bought our house many years ago we took out some what I know now to be beautiful old fashioned peach coloured roses. We planted veg instead. Now I'm thinking wouldnt it be nice to have some roses in the back garden. Will I never learn :D :D :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:13 »

In reality i put in 6 David Austin English roses and they've been rubbish >:( Nice to dream tho :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thats one in my avatar :)

That's interesting Spana; I've got 4 David Austin English roses, Golden Celebration, Jubilee Celebration, Summer Song and Graham Thomas, which I am growing as a climber.

The first two have grown strongly but the flower-stalks and even the stems do seem to struggle with the sheer weight of the blooms.
Summer Song possibly has the most beautiful and best-scented flowers of the 3 but the plant lacks vigour despite my best efforts and might have to come out.
Graham Thomas is FABULOUS! It's grown 8 feet in 2 years and has 2 flushes of wonderfully scented yellow flowers each year, the second of which lasts almost until Christmas.

(Sometimes wonder though if anything beats my hybrid tea Troika, although of course it doesn't have the flowering power of the "English Roses")

Would love to hear what others think of these (and other) roses.  

Edit: Wasn't trying to hijack this thread by the way, although think I might have!  :unsure:
(David Austin does claim that many of his roses are suitable for cutting, by the way!!)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 13:20 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 13:56 »
I have a number of David Austin roses in the garden, specifically 'english roses' some grown as shrubs and others as short climbers, have to say they've been wonderful and I couldn't be with out them. I've always bought bare rooted plants as they're much better value, and the perfume is soooooo wonderful. The D Austin website is really good, but if you phone they'll send a catalogue which makes you want to spend too much!! The hybrid tea roses are wonderfully traditional and remind me of summers when I was little - I went for the shrub ones as they're more bushy and 'cottage garden like' which was what I was after, whatever you choose Garddwr it will be fab!! Jude

Spana

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 14:47 »
I must say i have to agree HJ.  The David Austin roses are fabulous, they just dont like my ground or whatever it is i do to them .  Anyone who looks at their catalogue is doomed.

I do pick a few vase fulls each year but they go very dull once picked and never last more than a day or two without the petals falling where as on the plant they last quite a while.
I have spoken to David Austin advisers and they say most people have no  problems growing them or making them last in a vase. :unsure:

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 15:40 »
I must agree with Spana. While Austen roses are beautiful they're rubbish in my gardens despite knowledgeable care. There's something about my soil they don't like or possibly my climate despite the grower's claims they'll grow well here. I successfully grow hybrid teas, climbers, French and shrub roses here but not Austens that will last no longer than a year  >:(

For better success and loads of fragrance, try some of the French types.
Mme Isaac Pereire is the most fragrant of all the roses, a bourbon climber that repeats itself and is quite hardy even here.

Another is Souvenir du Dr Jamain, another high scented rebloomer that will even grow in some shade.

Charles de Mills, a Gallica type, doesn't rebloom but the fragrance from one bloom will scent a whole area.
Gruss an Teplitz is another Boubon that's free flowering and fragrant.

I planted  Reines des violettes last year and am waiting for the first flowers this year. It too is very hardy and fragrant.

One absolute must with roses is they must be spaced well apart and pruned each spring so blackspot is minimized.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 15:51 »
My Austen Roses have taken 2 years just to settle down let alone get as big as they say they do :(
So for the new bed I ordered old Roses from Beales, now have Belle de Crecy, James Mitchell and Mme Isaac Periere plus Gloire de Dijon and Mme gregoire Staechelin for the house wall.
Fingers crossed, but they already seem to be growing much more strongly than the others did :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 20:38 »
I found that too with the French ones, MOS. My Reines des violettes was planted last year but already it's turning into a massive barrier. Had to prune it hard and I expect loads of flowers this year. The others happily flower every summer. I have almost no problems with them. Wish I could say the same with the many Austens I've wasted money on over the years  :(

tallulah

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 22:11 »
I planted 2 icebergs and a felicia rose 3 years ago.  They've all been very poor - spindly, few leaves and just the odd flower.    On the other hand, I've done very well with the 'flower carpet' roses which, after a couple of years have turned into huge bushes.  Smallish flowers however, and not long lasting as cut flowers.  I too would love some roses as cut flowers, but haven't managed it yet ...

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 23:54 »
I know nothing about roses apart from I love them.

Even the OH has trouble growing them successfully in our garden - amazing as she manages almost everything else perfeckly!  ;)

On the plot it's another matter... despite my dad's caution that plots are for veg... I plonked in three roses - all doing well - grown for the scent and memories of childhood.

Queen Elizabeth (although the perfume is hardly detectable) has strong long stems and a tight long lasting soild pink flower - ideal for cutting.

Recently given two roses (from the children when I retired) - Great Expectations and Happy Retirement. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform - the others have done so well on the plot  :happy:
April 28th (2).jpg
June 21st 2009_018.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

clip
Plant ideas. Standard rose for flower bed?

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2014, 20:29
by mumofstig
xx
Salvia "Flower Child" and "Rose Queen"

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 15:15
by mrs bouquet
xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Which rose would you not be without?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

39 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 08:56
by jaydig

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 40 queries.