Old Rotary Clothes Line!?

• 5 Replies

omits

Old Rotary Clothes Line!?
« on: April 08, 2024, 11:36 »
I want to use this on my allotment but short of ideas what to grow up it. It will be say 2' from the ground so thinking for beans too low. Other ideas appreciated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Old Rotary Clothes Line!?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 18:26 »
Unless you can find a way to stop it spinning in the wind, I wouldn't risk my plants on the rotary line. There's a risk that the line will just go round and round, eventually snapping the stem of the plant.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 18:43 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 18:43 »
if as stated you could stop it being able to spin you could try butternut or other squash or cucumber [our outdoor cucumbers did better than in greenhouse last year]  or peas  good luck.
from bow like to grow

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 19:46 »
There’s a chap with a couple on our site, he uses it covered with butterfly netting over brassicas, I think you can fasten them off can’t you to stop them spinning.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

annd

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 22:48 »

Some thoughts from a very ancient gardener,  which might be useful to someone.  I have had several rotary washing lines from the recycling centre over the years but always dismantle mine and make stakes and plant supports with the arms as they are so robust. Recently bolted three metal arms across two longer ones to make a trellis for a climbing rose.  The stakes last for years.  Large patio umbrellas can also be dismantled and used for the same purpose.

The other wonderful and indispensable items usually found at recycling centres, are gazebos - the lightweight ones usually used for a one off event.  The poles slot into each other so can be used as frames for brassica or carrot mesh & are much cheaper than versions found online or in garden centres.  These can also be extended as plants grow.  Plastic corner pieces to join the poles together can be found online or at some garden centres and the gazebo covers make lightweight tarpaulins.

Finally, I make supports for my peas with 6ft or 8ft stakes.  Square 5ft or 6ft mesh pigeon netting, the knotted not woven sort, is measured to the length of the bed and stapled tightly to each of the stakes which are then driven in each end of the row.  String or a cane is woven through the mesh top and bottom and tied to the stakes to keep the netting taught.  When the peas finish, the stakes and netting can be rolled up and stored for the next year.  This form of netting doesn’t tangle like some of the nylon types do & lasts for years.  If the peas are very vigorous, string tied from one stake to the other just below the tops of the plants will hold the plants to the mesh & encourage them to climb.

Hope someone will find this useful, has certainly worked for me over the years.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 10:54 »
A cane inside each corner stops it spinning.  Rope and gazebo pegs would do similar but less secure.

If you throw fleece or plastic over it you have a mobile cold frame.
Wrap string around the outside of the canes would enough support for shortish peas.
Netting over it to protect all sorts

Here's what's left of one enjoying a new life holding the coldframe open.
frame.jpg

clip
Rotary Sieve

Started by sospan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:59
by sospan
xx
Should I line this planter....

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2019, 12:20
by mrs bouquet
xx
Unscrupulous on-line plant sellers

Started by viettaclark on General Gardening

25 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 12:21
by Onei

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 44 queries.