Allotment helper scheme idea - what do you think?

• 11 Replies

mikey2008

« on: November 16, 2008, 14:11 »
I am wanting some feedback on an idea to see what you think.

I have just put my name down on an allotment waiting list, and have been told that it will be about 2 years before a plot becomes available. I was kind of expecting that mind you.

However when I get my plot, depending how big it is, I may want a little help now and again with planting and harvesting, probably in exchange for a share of the produce on an informal friendly basis with neighbours and friends etc.

I live in a flat with no communal garden and am itching to get started in growing veg and fruit. So here is the idea:

As many people in this forum already have an allotment, how would you feel about a web service designed to allow people with allotment space to find people with no garden space wanting to help you out, grow and harvest produce in return for a share in the produce? Does this service already exist?

I know a couple of weeks back on River Cottage Autumn, Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall unveiled plans for 'Landshare', but wanted to explore the idea for a similar scheme for allotment owners and prospective growers.

bunch29

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 14:26 »
Hi
Iam having the same problem as am sure are alot of people, have applied for an allotment some months ago but will be some years before one becomes available.

Have been looking around on other forums for ideas on how to find some land or anyone else who may need help but its really hard to know where to start.

Not everyone has the time or ability for whatever reason to cope with an allotment on there own so I think its a great idea but you do have to be careful with certain rules of renting an allotment our local council is particular about letting other people use someones allotment so need to investigate.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 15:19 »
Hi can I just first welcome you both to the forums  :D  :D

Allotment help is possibly a good idea for some. how about 1/2 size plots these seem to be the norm on some sites

Don't forget your biggest problem may be getting round the "sub-letting" clause that most societies have.

And consider this also it's sometimes hard to share things like this as some may not be willing to use the plot as you may organic/inorganic etc
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

bunch29

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 15:41 »
Thanks for the welcome
I would love my own really, think its less complicated as you sad could cause problems.
Im in the hampshire area and there is'nt one allotment available and does'nt seem to be any private ones, its really annoying im desperate to grow my own and supply my family with better produce. I grow a little in pots and baskets at home but have quite a small garden, suppose ill just have to be patient.

mikey2008

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 15:47 »
Thank you Bunch and Richy for kick-starting the replies to this discussion.

I guess what I have in mind is not necessarily people sub-letting their plots but envisaging a way in which plot tenants can find other like-minded people to help them achieve their food growing ambitions.

At the same time benefiting from spending time outdoors doing any activity they enjoy and possibly sharing some of the tenants produce, (however such an arrangement would be for them to decide and a case of friendly giving as a way of saying thanks for their help)

I agree that sub-letting would not be a solution, I allotment boards would object. However often finding someone to help you meet your own allotment ambitions who you can share time with may be a sociable solution.

It may be the case that such a website would allow allotment tenants to find someone with valuable growing knowledge or equally rewarding, someone with little knowledge that they would then help them learn the basics of food growing.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 15:54 »
I am sure that most allotments have people that for one reason or other are having trouble in a particular year.  Some due to work commitments, sickness, long holidays (!) or getting a little infirm to manage all the hard digging but can happily still sow, do a bit of weeding etc and they would be happy to share on the basis that it is still their allotment.  

Ask at your local allotment if there is someone who could do with the help whilst also keeping yourself on the list.  In that way you can also show that you are keen to have an allotment, can help to keep one in good order, enjoy and contribute to the comradeship of others on the site, and not just an individual who happens to think that it would be a good idea after seeing something on TV.  :D

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 16:10 »
I've heard of a few people sharing plots but the story always seems to end up with a dispute over the amount of effort put in by each party.

It seems fairer to me to have a smaller (half?) plot each. Nothing wrong with pitching in to help each other at times if you want to.

Sorry if it sounds like criticism, I'm just being realistic.
If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 16:36 »
Brian, I agree, informal - or even formal plotshares - in my experience frequently end up with one person resenting the other's input (or lack of), or disagreements relating to what to grow etc.

Given that I have 60+ people on my waiting list, which is about 2 years' long, I would rather that people go down to a half plot and release the other half for people who have already been waiting on the list for a time, rather than keep both halves and let someone effectively jump the queue for as long as it takes them to reach the top officially.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 20:43 »
Quote from: "Brian_of_Bozeat"
I've heard of a few people sharing plots but the story always seems to end up with a dispute over the amount of effort put in by each party.

It seems fairer to me to have a smaller (half?) plot each. Nothing wrong with pitching in to help each other at times if you want to.

Sorry if it sounds like criticism, I'm just being realistic.

My son (17) shares a plot, now 2 plots with his best mate they have been at it since they where 15, yes they do have differences of opinions, quiet often so much so this year they grew a lovely crop of weeds on both plots  :roll:  then helped another friend start their plot instead  :roll:  :roll: The committee don't mind too much as they always help out with bulk deliveries and anyone else who needs a hand, it's been nice watching two scrawny youths turn into solid young men. Just wish they would plant something and not bend my ear occasionally about the other not doing whatever  :lol:

The 1/2 plot or even 1/4 plot would be fairer IMHO as there's alot of people on waiting lists who would think if you've not got time then let me have it.

mikey2008

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 21:05 »
Thank you everyone for sharing your views on this discussion. I now fully understand how the 1/4 plot or 1/2 plot would be better than sharing and fairer to everyone involved.

I guess it is down to individual councils and allotment committees to encourage plot owner to surrender any unused space. However we can all be very protective over our 'slice of the cake', so where do tenants, councils and allotment committees go form here?

I visited a friends allotment earlier this year, and felt they had a bigger plot than what they needed to grow for them selves, and they do admittedly use friends to help them. In exchange they get to take home a handful of this, that and the other if in season. It just seemed like a nice way of helping out.

Maybe we just have to wait and hope that when new allotment tenants enter into an agreement they will happily say to the council 'I don't need all this space' I will take half and let you rent out the rest to someone else'. We can hope anyway  :)

Thanks again everyone for taking time to share your thoughts.

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 21:17 »
My mum has started sharing a plot with my aunt,my mums younger sister and they are already bitching about each other not doing their fare share or disagreeing about what to grow or who's going to do what and they've only been sharing for about a month :roll:

Because I have a disability one of our commitee members told me that there are people who volunteer to help with heavy work etc so perhaps that might be an idea to see if there are any groups in your area.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 21:20 »
Is it really sensible to help someone who is struggling to cope? If you do not help them they may have to give up the plot? You may be keeping the waiting list longer than it needs be.

Always look after number one I say!!!!

xx
Helper potatoes

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 18:57
by Ropster
xx
What is the best idea you have heard at your allotment site's AGM?

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 00:14
by woodburner
xx
three sisters planting scheme as used in the usa

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

49 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 13:05
by Knoblauch
xx
Seed Guardian Scheme

Started by Alec Powell on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 27, 2006, 18:57
by greenie

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 36 queries.