Arrrgh! Tomatoes going brown!

• 44 Replies

sclarke624

Re: Arrrgh! Tomatoes going brown!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 13:18 »
Or although I don't like them myself, maybe plonk the plant and pot into a grow bag.  Better still after making a few extra holes in pot as Aunty says.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 13:55 »
I hate growbags too sclarke624 but in this instance it is a very good idea. 

Make some big holes in the base of the pot before putting it into the growbag.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 16:09 »
I hope the pot doesn't turn out to be a cherished family heirloom!

jermaindefoe

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 18:50 »
ok please dont laugh at my attempt! i tried :D  i have picked off all of the bad ones and whilst i was at it i sprayed the leaves with soapy water to try and stop the stupid black fly thingys. The soil used was grow bag soil

here are the newly potted plants

This is a photo of the new pots (see the size comparison against the older pot size!)I just went and bought the bigger of the 2 and the other i was given, in which i pierced some holes in the bottom for drainage

This is a picture showing the tiny amount of tomatoes that i have left  :(

i guess what i need to no know is, how much water do i need to put in there to start with. Also, is there anything you "professionals" note that maybe of concern from looking at my setup?

Thanks for your time again, its much appreciated!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 18:54 »
That's MUCH better.

Put about an inch of water into them in the morning as see how dry they are by evening.  Water again if necessary.  Tomato fertiliser once a week :D

jermaindefoe

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 18:57 »
That's MUCH better.

Put about an inch of water into them in the morning as see how dry they are by evening.  Water again if necessary.  Tomato fertiliser once a week :D
so no need to water tonight at all?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 18:59 »
Hopefully you watered them in (?) and that should do for today.  They look much better, I bet you find they romp on
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

jermaindefoe

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2010, 19:04 »
Hopefully you watered them in (?) and that should do for today.  They look much better, I bet you find they romp on
oh dear, i didnt water them in  :ohmy: what does this mean and what  have i done now :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 19:05 »
They look much better :) The plants looked taller than that in your original photograph, hence my anxiety about transplanting them.

Because there is fresh soil in the pot that does not, yet, have roots in it the water you give the plant will "last" longer than in a week or two when the roots have filled the new soil and the plant can drink more.

I work on the basis of judging how heavy, or light, a pot is.  I just tip it slightly to one side and gauge how much effort it took. If the pot is bone dry it will be very easy, if it has plenty of water it will take more effort.

After a while you will get used to what a pot weight should "feel" like relative to the pot's size etc.

P.S. feel the weight before you water them, give them a good watering, let them drain then feel them again and judge how much heavier they are

jermaindefoe

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 19:09 »
They look much better :) The plants looked taller than that in your original photograph, hence my anxiety about transplanting them.

Because there is fresh soil in the pot that does not, yet, have roots in it the water you give the plant will "last" longer than in a week or two when the roots have filled the new soil and the plant can drink more.

I work on the basis of judging how heavy, or light, a pot is.  I just tip it slightly to one side and gauge how much effort it took. If the pot is bone dry it will be very easy, if it has plenty of water it will take more effort.

After a while you will get used to what a pot weight should "feel" like relative to the pot's size etc.

P.S. feel the weight before you water them, give them a good watering, let them drain then feel them again and judge how much heavier they are
yeh, the pots at the minute feel dead light, so i should give them a semi soaking now or not?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 19:15 »
yes  :D

You should always give any plant that you transplant a good watering to help them get over the shock.  Then check the compost tomorrow.

Stop worrying so much! I know you've had a bad time, but get to know the soil in your pots by checking twice a day, you'll soon figure out the routine

jermaindefoe

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 19:39 »
yes  :D

You should always give any plant that you transplant a good watering to help them get over the shock.  Then check the compost tomorrow.

Stop worrying so much! I know you've had a bad time, but get to know the soil in your pots by checking twice a day, you'll soon figure out the routine
sorry for worrying :D i really want them to grow well tbh!

I have given them a good soaking so all should be well now, the pots have become very heavy! I will post back in here with more updates if needed!

Thank you everyone

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 20:19 »
"yeh, the pots at the minute feel dead light, ..."

add's water

" the pots have become very heavy!"

yeah! You're there already ... took me years to learn how to do that!

Paul Plots

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 23:51 »
If you want.....
                   .........To save all that lifting or tilting the pots simply stand each one in a flower pot saucer then all you need do is pour water into the saucer and the plant will suck it up during the day. If the saucer is empty you know the plant needs a drink!

Once a week - feed with liquid tomato fertilizer by watering from the top straight onto the compost.

I think you are doing brilliantly well to have coped with everyones advice!
             Your plants look good and you'll have more fruit developing (setting) in no time
;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sclarke624

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 00:45 »
you got flowers on the tomatoes so more toms to come.

xx
BROWN TOMATOES - WHY

Started by lenht on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 20:18
by DD.
xx
Tomatoes Going brown?

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 15:41
by jennyb
xx
Tomatoes going from green to brown...

Started by Babyshoes on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 06:14
by DD.
xx
Brown bits on tomatoes - help

Started by mabel on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 09:23
by humanrotivator

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.