Blight & Toms

• 4 Replies

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Blight & Toms
« on: April 18, 2007, 21:52 »
On my plot and some other surronding plots, blight is about,  It wiped out my entire crop of tatties last year, hench blight resistant this year.

I really want to plant tomatoes outside this year, but knowing that blight affects them as well, unsure of what to do.

I have heard somewhere that if you plant in containers, or keeping them away of rain splash and the spores of blight this can reduce the risks.  Does anyone else know if this is true, and does anyone have any other (as organic as possible) tips to aid prevention of the dreaded blight!!!!
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

cozzcov

Blight & Toms
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 23:45 »
The only thing I know to do if you get an infection of blight is to take off infected parts ASAP and burn them, fruits should still ripen etc

Have just read to spray during the wet season (may - august? its an old book) to spray with Bordeaux mixture at 10-14 day periods until tops meet in the rows - Bordeaux mixture is/was Murphy Bordeaux Powder or Bugges Wetcol 3' - don't know and probably doubt these are organic though - would have to google them to check organic status.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Blight & Toms
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 00:28 »
Blight is not specific to area (airborne spores get a long way) but is dependant on warm humid days to become active.

You can, I believe, get a spray product for tomatoes if you don't mind using chemicals on your food crop. I think they're probably safer than the 'traditional' Bordeaux mixture.

You can sometimes save the crop from being infected if they're in a greenhouse as there are less spores floating around.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

agapanthus

Blight & Toms
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 01:32 »
Tea tree oil diluted with water and sprayed onto tomatoes is supposedly brilliant at preventing tomato blight....I'm definitely going to try it this year on mine. Have already sprayed my garlic (was infected early with rust) and is doing very well :)

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Blight & Toms
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 15:13 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"
Tea tree oil diluted with water and sprayed onto tomatoes is supposedly brilliant at preventing tomato blight....I'm definitely going to try it this year on mine. Have already sprayed my garlic (was infected early with rust) and is doing very well :)

Thanks agapanthus, will definately give that a go, how much what ratio of t-tree to water did you use?

question
Do my toms have blight?

Started by jwhataylor on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:01
by jwhataylor
xx
i think that its blight on my toms.. a sad day.

Started by SAMANTHA MOLLY on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 17:38
by Paul Plots
xx
Need help with my toms. Is this blight??

Started by angel35 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 00:02
by Salmo
xx
Toms and blight

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 16:40
by Fisherman

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 35 queries.