Chilli pain!

• 7 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Chilli pain!
« on: September 08, 2013, 21:06 »
This year I seem to have had very variable success rates with chillies and peppers. In previous years different varieties have all done fairly well, not this year _ far more variable.
Fresno has been absolotely fantastic - every plant has produced a very good crop.
Sweet banana has been pretty impressive.
Purple beauty good too.
Jalepeno normally good were rubbish this year.

2 or 3 other varieties absolutely terrible.

What capiscums have worked for you this year.

All grown in the same compost.All in the same greenhouse.

Aint nature interesting. ;)

Cheers,
Balders

bravemurphy

Re: Chilli pain!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 21:24 »
Our cayenne have gone totally mad we picked a kilo of green ones a while back and I didn't realize there was so many in a kilo  :)

Also doing well are there birds eye chille that I was kindly given by surbie

smilydog

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 21:42 »
Hi

We are looking at having a fantastic Chilli harvest this year

Yesterday harvested the largest purple Jalapenos, about 25% of them,  1.4KG (94)

The Peppers are doing great as well, looking to get about 8-10 off each plant (about 15 plants) and almost shop size!

All grown outside in Cambridge

Every year is a surprise to me, what mostly did well last year is rubbish, beans, peas etc. And i might even get Tomatoes this year!! ( all stubbornly green ATM)

Smilydog

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 21:44 »
i'm growing little elf chillies on the window sill. they're a dwarf variety so fits nicely on the window sill and given plenty of hot fruits. will definitely be growing again next year.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 22:14 »
I've got chenzo (F2, not F1), lemon drop, jalapeno and habanero. Chenzos and jalapenos are very good, with good crops on both, the lemon drops are prolific but seem so far to lack heat and I haven't tried the habs yet. The habs look more like jalapenos, but the plant is a lot more splayed out.

Am going to try overwintering some again, this time with a less radical chop-back so hopefully the plants survive!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 22:20 »
My Super Chilli plants give me a huge crop every single year, no matter how good or bad the weather is. They live in my (very cold, glass missing) greenhouse and love it in there. But I do recommend this variety, very easy to grow, fast to get started and very generous crop. Taste nice too, best fresh but good dried too. It's really not worth overwintering them because they grow so fast from seed.

Last year I had a crop of ridiculously tiny chillis from my Habanero plants, I think because they're a bit more choosy on conditions and last year was pretty awful weather. I kept one alive over winter rather than sowing new plants, and this plant has grown on really well, absolutely full of fruit. None of them have changed colour yet but this time they've grown to full size, so fingers crossed. If necessary I'll bring it indoors to finish ripening them off.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 19:30 »
I have grown a lot of varieties this year - more for the growing experience than eating, and I've been amazed and overwhelmed by how well they all have done  :D  I had a taster of one of my "mild" chillies ... cor, if that is supposed to be mild, then I shudder to think what the extreme heat ones will be like.

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 21:50 »
My lemon drops have been cropping huge! some in the greenhouse and some on the windowsill and they are very very hot. although im convinced that watering them too much takes the heat away. i always wait until they are looking dead with leaf droop (although its harder to do that in the greenhouse because it retains moisture so well) the nagas have been rubbish but the trinidadian scorpion aint been too bad although the plant is quite small.

xx
back pain

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 21:16
by celtbhoy
xx
Midges & Pain

Started by Auntie on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 13, 2008, 18:32
by flowergirl
xx
Cucurbits - Mildew A Pain In The ****

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 23:23
by andy135
xx
Back Pain/Digging/Warming Up Exercices

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 10:07
by DD.

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.