Kitchen clear out

• 12 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Kitchen clear out
« on: January 01, 2014, 17:12 »
Its been a miserable day here weatherwise. OH is parked in front of the TV watching back to back Gas Monkeys -awful American series about car restoring, where they shout all the way through and the music repeats endlessly, until I am close to throwing something at him or the TV  ::)

I escaped to the kitchen, had a quick play with my new pressure cooker and then set to on the cupboards.

After a disgraceful amount of out of date stuff had been found, sifted into 'I reckon that's still OK' and 'maybe not' piles, the maybe nots binned and all the cupboards cleaned and refilled, I am feeling a warm glow of satisfaction  :D

I've used the bottoms of various biscuit and choccy tins we got for Christmas to sort my herbs and spices into curry ones, sweet ones and savoury ones.  All my chinese cooking sauces are in a box together as well.

Its so organised and neat  8)  I may have given myself a stick to beat myself up with as I will have to keep the neatness now, but right now, I don't care  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Kitchen clear out
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 17:20 »
Well done you!
I don't seem to use as many as I used to, so not so many to keep tidy.............

The chest freezer needs a good sort out though  ::)
What I really need is coloured boxes/bags so I have an idea of which area to look in. Rather than have to move the lot about each time I want to find specific items.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 17:29 »
The freezer is another story entirely  :lol:

I also need to have a really good clear out and defrost the thing, before the new season fruit and veg starts arriving  ::)

That job is parked for another rainy day off over the next month or two  ;)

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 18:12 »
I bet you spend the next couple of days opening the doors on your presses and admiring your handy work.  It gives you such a sense of achievement.  I have 4 cupboards that need clearing, my husband is back in work tomorrow so I might make a start on them so that I can get that lovely feeling  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 18:18 »
I recognise that behaviour Eblana -- opening the newly sorted cupboards to admire the contents  :lol: :lol:

I had a major de-junk of our kitchen last Autumn, and couldn't resist regular peeks inside the cupboards. And I have managed to keep them tidy too  :D

Great use of the day New Shoot and that warm glow makes it al worth it
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

wighty

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 19:29 »
My kitchen really needs a good 'clean' too. I am so glad that two years ago we spent the holiday period tiling it and getting rid of the wall paper that was there.  It's so easy now to wipe over  (when I get the time).  The cupboards really need a sort out, must do this end of the month when I get a week off.

Yana

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 19:37 »
I had a kitchen clear out too and found a bottle of tomato sauce that went out of date in August 2011. OH said that it was still ok as there are so many preservatives in it, it will never go off!!  :blush:
Felt sooooo much better after clearing all the cupboards and finding stuff I had forgotten I had.
Left the freezer for another day.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 22:33 »
well done i did  the same with clothes 2 weeks ago all my outfits are colour matched now ie all red together and last week i sorted all my fabric ready to sew and my cottons ect. I think it's a new year thing out with the old in with the new.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:10 »
I have a real thing about wasting food, so I have to give myself the day off that phobia in order to nerve myself to have a clear out  ::)

New Years Day seemed a good one to pick.  As you say, out with the old and make a new start  :D

plum crumble

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28 »
Good one New Shoot! My spice cupboard is regularly sorted - it has to be given the amounts of little packages I have. have I ever mentioned my liking of spiced foods? Anyway, you have to keep on top of their dates as the quality drops off rapidly once opened.

It's great opening the cupboard and seeing it all so tidy. I then love making a new spice list, and going to the Asian stores near me and buying fresh spices. (Always get too many though......)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 15:54 »
that's the beauty of a vacuum sealer. You can buy a special sealing cannister to reseal spice jars, provided the jar has a rubber-type seal inside the lid. My lesser used spices stay fresh for years. I also do most of my herbs that way as well, same with herbal teas.

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 20:29 »
 :wub:im trying to work up some enthusiasum , I work better when im alone .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 17:42 »
I tried to split my spices into sweet and savour - I got to ginger and got confused!

The only thing with tidying is that I then spend the next few weeks not being able to find anything  somehow when it's in a mess i know exactly where everything is!

It's the cupcake cases I have a problem with - when ever I open the cupboard they kind of just fall out onto me - they I kind of just thow them back in, not really helping the situation!

H x

xx
Cupboard clear out

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

41 Replies
Last post February 06, 2015, 15:41
by chrissie B
xx
I've got a kitchen aid!!

Started by RJR_38 on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 18:01
by RJR_38
xx
kitchen tongs

Started by Steveharford on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 17:06
by Mrs Bee
xx
Rebuilding the kitchen.

Started by Lardman on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post February 11, 2014, 16:11
by Growster...

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.