What to feed a Broody after chicks have hatched

• 9 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
What to feed a Broody after chicks have hatched
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:06 »
Both my Wyandotte Bantams have chicks but I am concerned about the smaller one Dotty.  She is really light and I would like to build her up after her sitting for over 3 weeks.  I have chick crumb for the chicks and her but would like some advice one feeding her up.  I have given them meal worms and they have an enclosure onto lawn so they are getting bugs and things from there.  Any advice would be great.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What to feed a Broody after chicks have hatched
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:31 »
feed her the same as the chicks, chick crumb has the higher protein etc needed for growth which your broody hen also needs. They do lose an awful lot of weight during their broody period but they do recover. Dont give her too many mealworms which although are a good source of protein they are also high in fat.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ANHBUC

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:44 »
Thanks for that, will keep the mealworms to a minimum.  Dotty seemed to stumble this morning so I am concerned that she is underweight.  She has access to chick crumb all the time and I have also put some on a plate in the run which she seems to find more attractive.  The problem is broodies seem to find food and let their chicks know and she is encouraging them to feed at her own expense.

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 10:49 »
after they have had their first feed of the day why not let them out of the run for an hour or two with the other hens (I am assuming that they are in full view of them) then Dotty can eat some layers if she wants to - she will not allow the others to injure her babies (although do keep an eye on the top hen just in case - they may try to put Dotty in her place) - she will also show them her favourite dust bathing place etc. Then after a couple of hours put her back in the run with loads of feeders  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24 »
I have never put the 2 bantams with my other hens as they were in quarantine and went broody shortly after. 

I have layers pellets, marriages quail micro pellets and have been given some free range layers mash from friends who has a free range egg business.  They are changing their stock and were having to change the feed for pullets so were emptying their feed hopper.  So I got several large sacks which I have managed to share with local friends with hens.  If I could give her any of these I would be concerned that she will feed it to her chicks.  So advice would be gratefully received.   ;)

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 13:36 »
In which case keep her on the chick crumb but have lots of feeding stations so she can see there is plenty enough for her as well. She may be trying too hard at being a good mum.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 13:38 »
Will do joyfull.  Thanks for the advice.   :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 14:09 »
Have brought her indoors as she is still stumbling.  Don't think she has enough energy when getting up.  I am trying to feed her with layers mash holding it out of reach of the chicks.  They are climbing on her back trying to get at it but I will persevere.   She is eating but she must be using more energy than she is getting looking after her chicks.  Thought if she is warmer indoors that might save her energy levels.

Any other suggestions will be greatfully received.   :)

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 14:22 »
she really is having a rough time isn't she. Personally I think you are doing all you can - you could try making the chick crumb into a mash so they can all share. Do you have any tonic or vitamin drops to put in their water to help give her a boost?

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 14:31 »
I have pureed carrot, garlic and apple then added water.  She has had a few beak fulls and is drinking water as well.  Is there anything else that will give her an appetite?  Have seen  Nettes poultry nutri drops online but the nearest place to us is an hours round trip.  I need to go there for my quail micro pellets but I am unsure of leaving her for so long.

xx
Help - our broody has just hatched a chick!

Started by honeybee on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 22:29
by Nails
xx
New Chicks hatched

Started by Bailz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 18:30
by evie2
xx
Hatched 2 chicks

Started by Geo on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 25, 2015, 21:40
by Geo
xx
2 chicks hatched

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 08:34
by Bobbie

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 35 queries.