what to feed 9 wk old chicks and their mum!

• 4 Replies

indigo

what to feed 9 wk old chicks and their mum!
« on: December 06, 2011, 08:29 »
Hi
I have two buff orpington chicks which are 9 weeks old now.  As they are buffs and their mum is a warren hybrid, they are almost as big as her now!  They still try to get under at night though! And she is very accomodating to them.
My query is what should i be feeding them on now in the way of crumb.  When she was sitting on the eggs (it was 6 - but only the two hatched) I went and bought a big bag of chick crumb.  I am only 2/3 the way through it now - but i think that they should be on something more substantial.  They have lots of treats, mixed corn and they free range for a few hours every day.  Shall i just put them on to what my other hens are having which is layers pellets/chicken crumb mixed with oyster shell.  Plus the mixed corn and treats! I dont know what sex they are yet as they are only 9 weeks.  When i've got a minute i shall put a pic on here.  But any advice as to what food would be greatly appreciated, as this is the first time i have hatched chicks.

kegs

Re: what to feed 9 wk old chicks and their mum!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 10:27 »
I've only used an incubator but by 9 weeks my chicks were having a mixture of chick crumb and growers pellets.  Gradually introduce and increase the growers pellets over a couple of weeks and wean them off the chick crumb.  They shouldn't have layers pellets yet until they are older as they don't need the extra calcium.

indigo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:19 »
Hi
thanks for that  - I did think the layers pellets shouldnt be used yet.  Will go and get some growers pellets today.
Thanks again

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:42 »
The mum mayl soon be coming back into lay so make sure whatever she is fed on isn't medicated otherwise you will have to throw her eggs away.
Staffies are softer than you think.

tstainesmoore

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 16:42 »
When the mum starts to lay again then she is ready to be taken away from the chicks. then she should have layers, the chicks should be on growers pellets by now but chick crumbs is exactly the same stuff just cruched up so use the chick crumbs first so none is wasted then use growers.

xx
what to feed chicks?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:23
by Squibbs
xx
Chicks & feed

Started by Pavlodge on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 11:10
by ANHBUC
xx
Raising chicks, what feed and when?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 13:16
by ANHBUC
xx
What to feed a Broody after chicks have hatched

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 14:31
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 35 queries.