Oh dear :0( I need some more advice please

• 9 Replies

rosie14

Oh dear :0( I need some more advice please
« on: August 21, 2011, 21:43 »
Evening all, about 6.30 there was a lot of cheeping coming from one of the chicks, it was the Orpington, it had got stuck to mamas under feathers - this happened 2 days ago is this a normal thing to happen? I de-attatched it which got mama disturbed and up revealing the little Bantam Orpington. I saw immediately that the little bantam Orpington chick wasn't right, it was back on its hocks and it seemed weary. I picked it up and it kept closeing it's eyes. I held it for the few minutes it took for the mama to settle on the grass, I thought it was going to die very soon but for now thought it best to return under her mama, it couldn't get under properly and I was worried about it sitting on the cold grass only partially covered with mama hen in it's sorry state so I ran round like a headless chicken myslef to organise the heat lamp until the mother hen went to bed, also worrying that it might not be strong enough to get out of her way quick enough. I set up the heat lamp, box etc. but the stupid lamp blew grrrr. The guy who I bought the chicks from at £10 each also sold me the lamp for £10 saying it was barely used, it was dusty but looks new to be fair what rotten luck right? So I put the mama hen to bed thinking it would be warmer in there with mama for the poorly one-she took herself and them to bed at 7pm last night anyway so not very early! The big chick ran after her and I popped the poorly one under her wing and bawled my eyes out  :wub: feeling sure it will be dead in the morning.

It has seemed further behind the other one physically in size, I know it's a bantam Orpie and the other is a regular one but it's literally 1/2 the size and doesn't seem to have grown in the few days I've had it unlike the other one. It also wasn't as fast and mobile but seemed to eat and drink well and I saw it scratch the grass earlier this morning where as the other one was doing that yesterday as soom as it came out-without even the mama hen showing it to. I felt there was a big difference between them but assumed it was size. The one I lost the day after getting them was the same a Bantam Orpie (the same batch I presume). What do I do other than hope for the unlikely? Is it unreasonable to ask the breeder to replace the chicks or at least one of them or is it tough luck?! And what about the brooder light, replace the bulb maybe?! I'd give it back but hope to get young chicks to bring on next year, not sure I can cope with the broody hen bit again, or has it been beginners BAD luck folks? I know she was a foster mum but she's been amazing at literally taking them 'under her wing' like they are her own, I feel certain she will accept new chicks 'hers' are 6 days old today.

Any help/advice/information welcome.

rosie14

Re: Oh dear :0( I need some more advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 23:18 »
bad news although not suprising...dead chick. Just went to check on them all  :( She seemed underweight especially in comparison to the other one, she just simply failed to thrive maybe? Who knows. Night x

rosie14

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:23 »
just bumping-does anyone have any advice re contacting breeder, is it reasonable to ask for a partial refund or exchange for another bird. I appreciate it's probably just one of those things but £10 a chick isn't cheap and £10 for a heat lamp that blew when I first put it on? I must be seriously unlucky!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:53 »
Oh, I'm so sorry you lost one. Are the others doing well?
I am unsure as to where you stand with the breeder really, I hope someone can advise you one that. I did want to say that I think you've been had as £10 per chick seems extremely expensive to me. Chicks sell here (Devon area) for between £2 and £5 each depending on the breed.

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:22 »
Hi thanks for your reply. I bought 3, 3 day old chicks for her to foster when my fertile eggs failed at the last hurdle. One was a Gold Laced Orpie like the foster mama and is so spritely and well and the other 2 were Bantam Orpies a lavender and a black one both of whom are dead now  :( I did buy the foster mama and also a Welsummer at the same time both POL for £10 and they are fit healthy and beautiful to boot. So I am with you there and feeling 'done up'. Hopefully someone will come on soon lots of people have read and run lol!

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:10 »
Spoke to breeder, tough luck re chicks, fair do's I suppose but will only sell me another brooder light bulb!! He said it was only a week old and would accept no responsibility, wont be using him again...aren't I unlucky and what an expensive 1 chick I have left! It's bound to be a boy now  :wub: !

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 11:50 »
and at £10 for a day old he was sooooo expensive. I would avoid him and like you say go elsewhere  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

rosie14

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37 »
Hi Joyfull, I was 'done up' then :0( my desperation to get foster chicks got the better of me. £40 later and all I have is a brooder light with no working bulb, 2 dead chicks and a lovely lively G.L. Orpie....which you just wait, will be a boy  :blink: or drop down dead tommorrow  :wacko: such a waste of £4o we didn't really have-I have slapped myself for being so impulsive even if my intensions were good.

I tried my best to do the right thing and so did the mother hen, wish me better luck for next time, if my husband ever agrees to do this again ha ha! We bought out POL Welsummer and G.L.Orpie for £10 each and they are smashing  :wub: he is not impressed to say the least. And I am left bereaved and angry at the chick seller grrrrr.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 19:34 »
 I did the same kind of thing and bought four chicks to put under a broody when none of the eggs were viable.  I lost one but fortunately the other three are doing fine so far.

I paid eight pounds per chick and still they could all turn out to be cockerels  ::)

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

rosie14

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 20:06 »
fingers crossed for you too then Bantam novice ;0)

xx
Oh dear think I've put on a few pounds over Christmas

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 04, 2008, 09:09
by Selkie
xx
Oh dear!! That wont happen again

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 19:17
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
oh dear molly isnt a molly

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 21:38
by Foxy
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 36 queries.