Worming

• 5 Replies

thechicken

Worming
« on: June 26, 2012, 14:42 »
Struggling with fussy eating chickens at the moment - only been with us 10 days so just settling down.

I got some worming pellets Verm-X and have tried adding it to their food and the whole lot is left - mind you it does have an odd smell!

I know I can get a fluid version would this be better or is there anything else that is easier to give them? 

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: Worming
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 14:57 »
Will they eat it if you lightly soak the pellets in warm water...was advised this a while ago, and it worked...not too sloppy and not too dry.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 15:03 »
I believe Verm-X is a herbal remedy for worms and has not been proven to work.  

Most members including myself us flubenvet. You can add it to layers pellets or you can buy layers pellets with it already added which I find easier.  My local Farmway store has just got a licence to sell medications so have got their own range of pellets with it added.  I think it was £14 for 20kg bag which isn't bad as I paid £11 for a 10kg bag of Marriages with flubenvet last time.

Try not giving them any treats at the moment until they are eating their normal food as they soon learn how to play you.  They need a balanced diet so their main food should be poultry feed.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 15:04 »
verm-x is not as effective as flubenvet at getting rid of worms (it is more like a herbal preventative) whereas flubenvet is proven to work on all types of worms. Flubenvet is a powder which can be sprinkled on their food or mixed into a wet mash  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 15:33 »
If you've already bought them it would seem a waste to not finish them. Vermex wont get rid of any worms they already have, but will prevent them after they have been treated with flubenvet.

I use vermex pellets every month as preventative and  flubenvet 2/3 times a year.

Mine wont eat the vermex pellets when it's in with their layers pellets so i either make a porridge with the layers pellets and add the vermex or mash some banana with some yoghurt and add the vermex. Either way it soon disappears.

i would also at some point get some flubenvet (i know, its all expense, or get the layers pellets with it already added - i cant get that around here though)

thechicken

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55 »
Thanks for all your advice - have just ordered some flubenvet which will hopefully do the trick!

xx
Worming

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 16:38
by Fiona55
xx
worming ???

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 23:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
should I be worming?

Started by ginaclements on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 10:46
by ginaclements
xx
worming

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 13:34
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.