worming

• 8 Replies

Trisha

worming
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:10 »
My chooks have been with me for a fortnight now, should I be worming them and should this be done regularly?  What is best to use? 

If I am to believe what the seller told me, 2 of them will now be approx 24 weeks, and the other 2 approx 20 weeks. 

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Re: worming
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:27 »
Hi Trisha.

When I got my girls I was told that chooks need worming every 6 months, but I've also read maybe 3 times a year. My girls came pre-wormed so I won't have to do it until the autumn.

You don't say whether or not your girls have already been wormed, I suspect they would have been, but my first step would be to contact the seller and ask. Depending on what your seller says, then maybe have a word with your vet - my vet is usually happy to provide quick advice over the phone which is cheaper than a consutation. I would also ask about what vaccinations your ladies will have received. Again your vet can tell you what they should have had.

Pertelotte

Trisha

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49 »
Thank you, I shall give him a call today.  :)

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:06 »
I would get Flubenvet as a wormer because it covers gape worm and all the other ones and you don't have to stop eating the eggs.  A lot of members on this forum use it and say it is the best one to use.  You can use Verm x but it is apparently a preventative treatment rather than one that would kill the worms.  It also doesn't cover gape worm.  The Flubenvet is available at agri stores, online or from some vets.  It is the Flubenvet 1% that you need - it comes as a 60g tub.  You just measure out 2kg of hen food and mix in 1 scoop of the Flubenvet.  You don't give your hens any other food apart from the medicated food.  When the 2kg of food is finished you make up another batch and so on and feed this to the hens for 7 days.  After 7 days thats it, they can have their odd treats again.

As to vaccinations, a lot of breeders don't vaccinate their birds as it is not practical.  As an example for Mareks the vaccine is for 1000 birds and has to be used within 1 1/2 hours once opened.  Not many small breeders would bother. 

2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:34 »
Whenever I worm my girls (every 6 months) we use Flubenvet. To make sure that they all get their regular dose, i cut some grapes in half, scoop out a little of the flesh and sprinkle the powder in each. I make sure that each has one individually - that way I know they've all had the same dose, and by using only half a grape it vanishes in a split second. You don't have to discard their eggs either during the treatment.

turnip

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 20:14 »
Hi Trisha, 

I use flubenvet for my 3 girls but as they are out free in the garden during the day they eat everything so to be sure they eat the medication I make porridge with water and mix it into that.

They love the occasional bowl of porridge and so wolf it down straight away. Its the only way I found,  to be sure they will eat it all so everyone's happy.  I do this 3 times a year with no problems, 

Ps  I  buy the flubenvet online for about £13 instead of £39 from the vet,

best wishes, Turnip. 

Trisha

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:00 »
Thanks everyone for your replies  :)

Much appreciated x

marygall

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 18:59 »
That's a great idea about the grapes Tazzy, perhaps I should have said a grape idea!
I'll use that next time but how much to give each hen?

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 22:56 »
Hi Mary,

We weren't too sure how to measure it, but put the end of a teaspoon handle into the powder and gathered a tiny pinch onto that before dropping it onto the half grape. We cut them up as the powder stuck to the inside of the grape better. At least that way we knew they had all had the same amount. To make sure the greedy ones didn't get their fair share, we go into the run, pick one up, quickly offer the grape before losing fingers and then pop her outside etc.

xx
worming

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 13:34
by Aunt Sally
xx
worming???

Started by violet on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 20:36
by violet
xx
Some Worming help please

Started by Colernehens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2011, 15:57
by Colernehens
xx
Worming

Started by yorkylover on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 05:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.