Vernalizing perennial seeds

• 6 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Vernalizing perennial seeds
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:56 »
I sowed 7 different lots of perennial seeds 3 weeks ago, but only the Nepeta have germinated.  I have since read that perennials need a period of cold to break dormancy.  Wish I'd know about this before I'd sown them!  ::)

They are in large modules in a seed tray, would putting the seed tray outside do the job, and then bringing it back indoors? (it's on my kitchen window sill at the moment). Obviously I can't put them in the fridge now! If so, how long would it need to be outside for?

For furure reference, do the seeds have to be damp (i.e. mixed with damp compost) when vernalizing, or can I just put the dry seed packet straight in the fridge?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Vernalizing perennial seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:58 »
The easiest thing to do is just leave them outside and they will germinate in spring when the weather suits them  ;)

It depends what you've sown - but some perennials take longer than 3 weeks to germinate anyway ;)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:07 »
Grrr, I guess I'm being too impatient then!  OK, I will prick out the Nepeta this weekend and then try to forget about the rest until Spring then - easier said than done!  >:(

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 13:59 »
I remember getting some primrose seeds from Barnhaven years ago, and they recommended scatter-sowing on the top of a small tray filled with compost (was it multi-purpose - think so). Then you gently water in or soak from underneath then put another small tray as a lid on top, plus a brick to stop it blowing off.  It shouldn't dry out over winter, but examine and remove lid on signs of growth in early-mid spring.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 19:04 »
Only some perennials need a cold period to germinate, lots don't. Some need several cold periods! I found the data base below quite helpful (you need to scroll a long way down the page to get to it):

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm1.html

I have sown a lot of mine in pots, with grit on the top to stop moss and weeds and they will just stay out over winter as Mumofstig said. Also you will see from the database that some seeds can take many months (even years!) to germinate. :)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:54 »
What a brilliant link, thanks for that, I have bookmarked it.  I have noted two main points from this:

1.  I am being far too impatient, 3 weeks is obviously a short period of time for perennials.
2.  Not all seeds like the same conditions, so putting them all in modules in the same seed tray will not suit all of them.

My general seed germinating technique has been to bung them in a tray or pot of general purpose compost, water, and leave on a window sill, greenhouse or heated propagator, and this has usually worked for me OK up to now, although I have only grown vegetables and annuals from seed up until now.  I obviously need to refine my technique a bit for perennials.  I will try to move them to seperate pots and give each one more favourable conditions.

sion01

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 15:55 »
I've got rubeckia vernalizing in the mother in laws fridge as we speak.I tried them for three weeks without vernalizing with no luck so they go the cold treatment.One trick that i seemed to get away with last spring when trying to germinate geranium seeds in quantitys of 6-7 was to put them in the freezer for a few hours until just the top of the compost was frozen(other half works night,so what the eye's don't see ;))  and then into gentle warmth.It worked but I haven't seen it recommended

xx
What could this perennial be?

Started by RJR_38 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2017, 21:56
by Sturetare
xx
Perennial help

Started by Carlos on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 07:51
by Carlos
xx
Perennial Sweetpea

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2023, 13:42
by mrs bouquet
xx
Perennial Pansies?

Started by allotmentann on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 16:02
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 39 queries.