When do I take stuff out of the propagators?

• 10 Replies

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
When do I take stuff out of the propagators?
« on: February 28, 2009, 21:01 »
I've got 2 of those 7-cell heated propagators. I put stuff in them last Sunday, and the mini-caulis are already about 3 inches tall! They're bending towards the light, so I've been turning them daily and have opened the vents so they don't drown. They look very spindly to me so maybe they won't survive. The physalis, heliotrope and pansies have started to come up too.

What do I do now? Do I prick them out into pots now on a shelf near a window? Leave them in for a bit longer? I can't leave anything uncovered on the table as we have 'helpful' cats.

garddwr

Re: When do I take stuff out of the propagators?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 21:03 »
I'm not too sure when they should come out I think its right after germination,I don't thin you should sow caulis in it, they'll get leggy.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 21:04 »
Turn the heat off, take the lid off,put them on a sunny windowsill and and do a DD and put tinfoil around them to trap all the light. 
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 21:05 »
G is right, you dont need to start off caulies with heat, but theres plenty of time to start more if they are unrescuable (is that a word??  :D)

garddwr

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 21:07 »
Yes Peapod thats the word  :lol:

Start some more off,I haven't started anything yet except some leeks and broad beans today ad I don't have frost protection in the greenhouse

clive f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 21:58 »
prick them out so that the seed leaves are just above the compost and as peapod said sunny windowsill with tinfoil round to catch the light

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:52 »
Thanks, guys - they mostly all died overnight on the windowsill (possibly too cold in the bedroom), so back to the startingboard. I was expecting to lose the caulis so no surprise there, but Goodbye physalis and heliotrope. Left the pansies in the propagator so will prick them out today. The heliotrope packet for example said they need 14-21 days @ 20-25deg, and the only way I could provide that kind of temperature was with the propagator.

I'll try again with the plastic bag approach to see if that's better, and do the pricking-out and burying to the leaves thing. The caulis I could've pricked out, the other were too too tiny to even touch; they were hair-thin. Maybe the propagator was too hot for them, or maybe I made the obvious newbie mistake of starting them too early and not considering this 2-week cold snap we're heading into. Oh well, you live and learn.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:18 »
I've been reading recommendations that the seedtrays be filled to the brim and then levelled off. Maybe this is what I did wrong? Maybe the seedlings had to grow taller stems immediately to peep over the solid sides and find the light?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20 »
I fill mine to the brim Jj leaving enough space to water lightly.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 15:47 »
The heliotrope packet for example said they need 14-21 days @ 20-25deg, and the only way I could provide that kind of temperature was with the propagator.

That figure is usually how long it takes (on average) for the seeds to germinate.  As soon as they're up, you need to get them somewhere a bit cooler, unless it specifically says to grow on in heat.

The caulis I could've pricked out, the other were too too tiny to even touch; they were hair-thin.

You can learn to prick out very small seedlings with practice.  A good technique is to sow thinly enough that you can get something like a little coffee spoon in underneath, and lift them out by the little rootball.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 16:17 »
Thanks guys - much appreciated :)

xx
Propagators?

Started by borderowl on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 07:34
by DD.
xx
propagators???

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Kristen
xx
Propagators

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 19:34
by mashauk
xx
Using propagators

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 17:13
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 38 queries.