North West Planting Times?

• 4 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« on: January 18, 2009, 19:53 »
Hi, Cheshire Phill here - anyone got any experience of planting times in the NW?

Ideally Cheshire/Staff/Derbys area, but anywhere up here in general.

I'm itching to plant some stuff on my new plot once dug over...when I can I start some early crops...e.g. when I can I put spuds in? Want to backschedule my chitting, and have Pentland Javelin, King Edwards, Desiree and Maris Piper (main).

I know John has 27th May as "last frost" day...but I can't wait for that..anyone got any reliable info on what/when?

Thanks!!

Phill

PinkTequila

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 20:01 »
Have patience! Dig you plot properly. Ground preparation is more important at the moment. DOn't think of putting anything in 'till March at the earliest.

penance

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 20:22 »
Its way to early down here in Brizle to be chucking anything in the ground.

I stick my spuds in early April, maybe a few weeks later for up your way..

Like Chesire Phill said, keep digging, this time of year the wet and cold helps to break the clods up a treat. That will make sowing/planting much easier and better when the time comes.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 22:22 »
Given that John has been growing in your area for quite a few years  :roll: , I'd be minded to curb my impatience as much as possible and believe him  :!:

Several of the other spud threads cover planting times; the consensus is that they can go in from mid-march till about mid-april, subject to the ground not being too frozen or waterlogged.  

I normally allow about 6 weeks to chit, not more.

In my area too, we do not plant out tender plants (beans, toms, courgettes etc) until the risk of frost has passed.  As a general rule across the whole of the north of England, that is the end of May - though frosts in June are not unknown.

It is far more disappointing to lose seeds indoors because they've been started too early and get long / leggy / die - or to put stuff outside too early and lose it all to frost, than it is to wait a few weeks longer (believe me, we have all learnt our lesson  the hard way  :lol: )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 23:05 »
You'll notice I plant potatoes earlier than the last frost but be prepared to earth up or fleece potatoes. Plant out your runner beans before the last frost, if you have spares growing under cover!

I based the dates in my book on here - halfway up the country but don't forget micro-climates. You have to use some judgement, growing is an art not engineering.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
Spuds in North West

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:10
by Cheshire Phill
xx
Anyone in north west put courgettes out yet?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 19:14
by sarajane
xx
north to south or east to west

Started by elfy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 10:52
by goodtogrow
xx
North-West Facing Garden

Started by Ginge666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 20:41
by Thrutchington

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.