Bolting vegetables

• 2 Replies
Bolting vegetables
« on: July 16, 2011, 16:16 »
firstly hi as I am new to the forum, as i am to trying to grow my own. I have this year set up some raised beds, with varying levels of success, albeit some have not gone well.

I know it was very hot and dry April, May and more recently pak choi so perhaps I have not been watering enough. I watered daily, but I guess not a good enough soaking.  My main problems have been:
Onions, carrots, beetroot and cauliflower - all had massive leaf growth but with small fruit. The cauliflower head began to grow apart and shoot out very soon after forming.
Pak choi which was much more recent went to flower very quickly.

Any advice appreciated  thanks Rich

mobilekat

Re: Bolting vegetables
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 17:49 »
Often carrots and beet can be lazy, they wont form good roots if they are getting well watered!
Also have you been feeding them?

I havent ever had much luck with Pak-choi it seems to be a baby then bolted with no gap in between!
This year has been a challenge!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
Re: Bolting vegetables
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 17:58 »
Pak choi and a few other veg dont fare well if its very hot. Best sown early and later on in the season -its not too late to try another lot. Florence fennel is another one. I've invested in some shade netting for such crops. I'm having trouble with lettuce bolting rather than hearting up.

But thats veg growing for you! There's always something that does well to offset the tribulations.

xx
Bolting

Started by TansyCobweb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 19:40
by TansyCobweb
xx
Bolting what does this mean

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 22:29
by sclarke624
xx
Everything is bolting!

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 10:29
by senrab_nhoj
xx
BOLTING

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 17:03
by al78

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 35 queries.