too much heat in the greenhouse

• 12 Replies

roonyin

too much heat in the greenhouse
« on: April 28, 2015, 13:40 »
is it possible for young plants to die from too much heat in the greenhouse at this time of the year ?????
MANS INHUMANITY TO MAN MAKES COUNTLESS NATIONS MOURN

cadalot

Re: too much heat in the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 13:46 »
Yes, I took my eye off the ball and lost a tray of seedlings to the sun.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 14:36 »
Same here, I've lost a couple of trays of seedlings due to underestimating the power of the sun, Cooked to a frazzle they were!

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 17:13 »
Definately, you need to try and keep the temperature below 30C if you can. My tomatoes last year didn't do as well as previous years and I blamed it on the fact that I was away one weekend and the temperature in the greenhouse got over 50C.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 16:01 »
Absolutely - also there will be no breezes in there to help cool them down.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 11:27 »
i get too much heat in mid summer, i resorted to misting the air in the middle of the tunnel last year to get the temperature down a little in the middle of the day. i do however try to keep as much of the mist off the leaves though.

bravemurphy

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 11:57 »
Yes it is that's why I apply cool glass this time of year.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 11:22 »
or throw an old white sheet over it - can be held in place with clothes pegs or bulldog clips and can be removed or pushed aside on cloudy days
Rachael

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 10:49 »
I would love to put greenhouse shading over mine but with the winds we get here, I can visualise it lifting like a balloon with my GH underneath!! I tried Coolglass but it is very messy to apply, made marks on the GH paint and is not that easy to get off. I have a net curtain inside which is placed on an upper shelf so the seedlings aren't in direct sunlight, and if it starts getting hot inside, I damp the floor down with a hose.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 11:08 »
I didn't plan it that way, but over the past few years my GH has somehow acquired several wires which now run the length and width of it at various heights (originally fitted to tie to the top end of support canes, or to attach support strings to for melon, cucumber plants, and the like.)

They come in useful for when I feel more shading is required, because I can just hang the chosen material (usually bubble-wrap) over and between the wires, securing as necessary with plastic sprung clothes pegs (use a lot of them too!)

Not pretty, but it's fairly easy to add or remove shading, and the cost is virtually nil once you've got the wires in place.  :)

The auto vent opener helps to avoid excessive heat build up, along with keeping an eye on the weather forecast and trying to make sure I keep the door open by a 'sensible' amount for the weather conditions.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:54 »
From the bit I remember about physics, you need to have shading on the outside of the GH to reduce the radiant (?) heat that passes through the glass panes. If you put it on the inside, it has already transmitted this heat into the GH hence making it hotter.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:09 »
It's true that a given amount of shading is around 40% more effective if deployed on the outside of the glass, but what isn't often mentioned is that it's also about 3000% more difficult for many of us to actually do that without wishing we hadn't at some point!  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 11:47 »
Too right JayG - as in me getting up the stepladders with a wide brush tied to a pole so I could put Coolglass on the outside roof panes!  :blush:

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.