poorly hen - but what cause?

• 11 Replies

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
poorly hen - but what cause?
« on: December 17, 2009, 14:43 »
Patience is one of my new POL Light Sussex - we collected three just over a week ago.

Today she has no neck, and is mostly just standing around feeling sorry for herself. I've picked her up and given her a good going over ... eyes nice and clear, no nasal discharge, no wheezing, , temperature normal, crop soft, doesn't smell sour ... but only two eggs from the three LS and we've been having three a day. I can't really feel an egg in there - don't want to poke too hard and break it.

She's not yet used to being handled much, but the next step is, I suppose, a warm bath? Any other ideas/suggestions?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

too many girls

Re: poorly hen - but what cause?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 14:58 »
i would wait with the bath for the moment, she may just be having an off day or about to lay a soft shelled egg, how are her poops? is she eating?

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 17:45 »
She does get around ... I've seen her do a huge poo ... but she's miserable. She legged it up the garden easily enough when I tried to catch her for a bath ... so she's not had one yet!

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 18:14 »
Definitely go for the warm bath and olive oil.....and a nice massage!!! Good luck  ;)

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 22:25 »
Personally right now I would not give her a bath unless sure she had an egg stuck. If you have only had her a week or so I would let her settle down, leave her be and do not handle too much. Observe carefully for any bullying, pecking etc. Make sure she has access to feed and water and that she is eating and drinking. Do you have other chooks and was she bright and healthy when you collected her?

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:46 »
Thanks, Foxy - she was bright, she's top hen as far as I can tell. No bullying.

I have just bathed her ... mucky rear end this morning. Her vent is pulsing, no sign of a prolapse, but the skin round the vent has few feathers and is very red. I've smeared vaseline round the vent and sprayed with gentian (very pretty effect  :lol: ). She's eating just now ...

Any further ideas welcome!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:18 »
I think it's too cold to give them a bath at the moment unless they really are in a state. It may also upset her a bit too much if she is not used to being handled, keep her dry and warm for now.
Sorry just read that you have already given her a bath.
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56 »
They live in the greenhouse for the moment, and it's not too cold in there. I don't think I'd have let her back out in the garden otherwise, but I'm not sure where I'd keep her in the house!

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 13:43 »
but I'm not sure where I'd keep her in the house!

in your bedroom of course! where else? huh :)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 15:34 »
I would listen to the others on here, they are very experianced with chucks!
I wouldnt have bathed her, its very cold, i would only bath mine if i was ABSOLUTLY SURE she was egg bound, and had tried everything else!. Think is you havent really had her long enough to know what is normal laying for her, she may not lay everyday, particulary at this time of year. Do watch them in that greenhouse, it will still get very hot in the day, and cold at night...you dont want fried chicken ;). TMG mentioned a softie was maybe on route! softies make them look like they are about to keel over any second, and if you havent seen it before its very scary( well it was for me anyway). Can you not bring her into the house.. ? then you would be able to keep a proper eye on her. If she was my bird i would be worried about her being in the green house just after a bath in this weather , especially when i wasnt sure what was wrong with her. Good luck with her, lizzie :lol:

matilda duck

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 21:08 »
Maybe she's not poorley just cold?  All chickens hunch up shen they are cold! They also don't lay much when it's cold, it's a choice of keeping warm or laying so they go with the keeping warm!

You say you keep them in a greenhouse, you do mean in a house in the greenhouse don't you?????
Hope she is ok?

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:47 »
She seems OK this morning! She's certainly not deteriorating in any way.

The greenhouse is a twin walled plastic with plenty of ventilation. They have a wooden box and perch arrangement, but prefer to sleep on top of the box! There's an old pet carrier which they're using as a nest box. During the day the door is open to a wire mesh run. It's only temporary until we integrate the two broods ... and we're starting to free range them, sometimes together, when we're here to supervise.

Thanks for your concern xx

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 22:00
by barley
xx
help I have a poorly hen

Started by jo corbett on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 20:52
by Aunt Sally
exclamation
Poorly hen

Started by Becky D on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 18:09
by grinling

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.