Getting Started...HELP!

• 5 Replies

Classybird

Getting Started...HELP!
« on: February 26, 2012, 21:07 »
Hi, I am fairly new to allotment growing and have been given a fairly big plot which as you can expect is a complete mess.  ( I suppose it's not that bad, just lots of grass, lumps and weeds etc).  Whilst I have made a start in creating a small number of raised beds and paths, I am quickly realising that I will not be able to get anywhere near what I would like to have done this year.  I do think it is best for me to concentrate on a little at a time but my problem is what to do with the rest of it whilst  I am working on the other bits.  I cant just leave it as the weeds will just take over so I am thinking of covering it with a thick plastic which I am hoping will kill what is currently there.  Does this sound like a plausible plan?  Is it best to mow it first or is it fine to just lay the plastic?  I will be grateful of any advice as I really don't know what I am doing and am quite overwhelmed by it all.  Thank you.   

catweazle

• Experienced Member
Re: Getting Started...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 21:33 »
glyphosate weed killer. its a non selective type but it breaks down very quickly  (you could re plant in 3-4 days) kills allmost any weed with one spary (bar bindweed and mares tail)

should help you get on top of things

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 21:42 »
If you are happy to use weedkiller then one based on glyphosate is indeed the one to use.  However, it won't become effective until plants are growing again - probably another 6-8 weeks.

However, if you prefer to use the cover, yes it will keep on top of the weeds.  Depending on how long the grass is, you might want to mow but I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's not too long.  I'd advise against leaving a solid plastic one on for too long as it doesn't let air or water through and therefore does the soil no good for longer periods of time.

If you do spray with weedkiller, do not cover for 2 weeks after application so that the chemicals have time to get absorbed.

If you click the Growing Help link underneath the top banner on this page, you'll find some articles including one on clearing a plot.

It will also help us to answer future questions (not this one!) if you can add your location to your user profile - just click your username to edit your profile.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 21:44 »
I think I would cover the parts that you will not be using with several layers of cardboard( try people like halfords etc for the large boxes  just put it on top of whats there if its flatish Hold it in place with the odd brick or lumps of wood  you can then if like many of us end up with to many plants just cut a small hole and plant thro the card board . I like too think of the soil as being alive and you need a covering that will allow the rain to reach the soil so keep all the "bugs ,fungi , and insects happy . This would also make a good start to a no dig plot Just cover the cardboard with more compost over the course of the year and plant thro
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Classybird

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 22:52 »
Thank you very much for the advice all of you!  I have started to collect cardboard to put down ASAP which will allow me to work on bits at a time.  It really helps to hear your opinions  and be able to talk stuff through with people who know what their doing, especially as I don't feel that confident about what I'm doing.  Thanks guys! 

grendel

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 00:55 »
really its easy - just like the 7 dwarfs, its dig dig dig dig dig. but I found that if you dig just ahead of the planting its just about possible to keep up (though I now have a rotovator to help me keep up.)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

xx
Who has started anything

Started by Griffete on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 12:03
by The Hairy Pumpkins
xx
What veg have you started on?

Started by donnalou on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 11:18
by mashauk
xx
Just getting started

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 23:04
by jmx
xx
I've started

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 12, 2017, 10:33
by Barry C

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 35 queries.