I've started

• 29 Replies

compostqueen

Re: I've started
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 19:39 »
I did my broad beans dead late last year, and sowed them direct.  They were fine  :D

Christine

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 08:16 »
I've put some sweet peas in small pots on the kitchen window sill and have popped a few broad beans that came via a seed swap in an unsealed packet to see if they grow.  As they can be sown from February I'm only two days early ....

Willow_Warren

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 09:49 »
Oh I was going to start chillies and pepper this weekend - not too many though as I've limited space inside!

It's exciting to get going :)

Stewarty

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 14:34 »
I'm being SO strict with myself this year!  For the first time ever I haven't sown anything in January.  I scratched that itch you're all talking about by setting up the heated propagators in our conservatory, plus 6 big 24-cell seed trays, all full of compost and encased in waterproof bases so that I don't get told off too much for water dripping (again). And outdoors during the frozen weather I've been clearing out compost heaps, both in the garden at home, and at the lottie.
I suspect I won't be able to hold off very long once February is here, but I'm feeling more persuaded than in the past that, no matter how you provide warmth for your seeds and seedlings, it's the low light levels that lead to legginess and weakness in early-sown plants, which are so ofter over-hauled by later sowings. So that magic Valentines Day 14 February date may be worth waiting for.....?

al78

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 15:07 »
I have sown some leeks in a seed tray last Sunday. I will leave it indoors until germination then put it outside in the cloche greenhouse. I have tried to plant each seed an inch apart which should hopefully give them room to get to a decent size before planting out.

I may start some brassicas indoors towards the end of February.

mrsbean

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 23:02 »
Hello all, not been on for a while. Yes i am itching to get started, but will have to wait a bit longer, i use the spare bedroom for loads, but grandsons coming for half term. OH put my heated propagators in shed, so may do sweetpeas or toms. Still getting frost here.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04 »
Just sown thirty broad beans in single modules...

Eat your heart out Patch Neighbour Chum...

Mrs Growster sowed some chillis last week, and they germinated in four days! And her sweet peas are nearly all up in ten days, which is a record!

Swings, roundabouts and dodgems - half the garlic has failed already...:0'

harry

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 14:09 »
Put my mamoth onions and leeks in seed trays, my seed potatoes starting to sprout
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 09:35 »
After seeing a number of parasitic potatoes raising their heads in a plot I have taken over I would have put a row of first earlies in but time did not allow. I must be mad.

If we have a good weather over half term I might go for it under a thick mulch of seaweed; luckily I have good free draining soil.

Plot neighbor looks as though he has his broad beans in so I may also follow his lead in a couple of weeks if there is not too much rain.

victoria park

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 16:19 »
Well, have sown some early sungold and anaheim chillies. But looking at the forecast, there really is an unusually prolonged cold spell coming, far longer than the odd night or two. So, against my normal cavalier approach born of mild climes, I'm going to put off any more sowings for a week, as I've got limited decent light at home for too many emerging souls. Looking at the gulf stream forecast, it could last nearly a fortnight. I feel a right wimp  :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 16:37 by victoria park »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 11:38 »
After careful calculations on the amount of windowsill space and double insulated greenhouse space, I've sown leeks, leaf celery, Italian giant parsley and perennial Japanese bunching onion today.

I got the pepper and chili seeds out, as they are coming up next, but its too cold over the next couple of weeks to worry about them.  The hardier souls can move through and into the greenhouse first  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 14:03 »
I got my first showings done today. Just three things as am busy and in and out with errands but managed
CAbbage. HIspi
CAbbage Samantha
SWeet basil
In trays in the house - those free ones from the shop which held unripe plums which my husband will,insist on buying
Excuse my typing 😊

Robster

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23 »
Me too. It's good to get a few things going. Herald of things to come. It also gives me something to worry about when things grow on and there's a cold snap forecast. Happy days. Good luck to all. May your vegetable trug be ever full

victoria park

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2017, 17:38 »
Right, the big coldness is petering out before it's time, so from tomorrow it's full steam ahead.
Made a slight boo boo in using last year's left over bagged compost  stored out in the elements for this year's early seed compost. Could be anything in there by now waiting to come alive.  I'm in the middle of chaotic home moving, so it's difficult to set up the right environment, but I'm sure I'll sort it in the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 17:41 by victoria park »

Barry C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2017, 10:33 »
My seeds have finally arrived  ::) .... but this cold snap  >:(

This morning there's been an occasional flurry of snow, nothing much, but it is bitter out, there's a real icy east wind, although the greenhouse is OK when the sun peeps out. The parsley pots I did are OK under their fleece, but going to have to give it a bit longer yet  ;)

Patience needed, how comes I can fish for hours without a problem, but impatient to get into the greenhouse and make a start  :lol:

xx
Getting started

Started by HypnoticMonkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 09:59
by Yorkie
xx
getting started

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 04, 2016, 09:20
by mumofstig
xx
What veg have you started on?

Started by donnalou on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 02, 2008, 11:18
by mashauk
xx
Just getting started

Started by infowarrior on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 23:04
by jmx

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.