saving tomato seeds

• 1 Replies

muntjac

saving tomato seeds
« on: November 03, 2007, 23:52 »
i only really try this with toms as i find its no point trying other seed ,here is how i do my tom seeds,,, when the fruit falls off the plant i pull them apart and stick them in a jar with warm water .shaking the jar ( with a lid on ) every other day for 5 days this gets rid of all the wet jelly stuff that sticks to them , i let it go a mite mouldy ,make sure you put this outside someplace as it will stink a bit .then when ya ready you can rinse them off in a sieve under a cold running tap .. now put them into bowl and add a lot more water and the rubbish seeds and pulp etc will float to the surface the good seeds to the bottom .take this off with a slotted or holed spoon .dump this in the compost , now you can redrain the seeds .and place them on a large flat baking tray  and just leave them in the shed or garage for a few days to dry completly  for a week at least ,dont make the mistake of sticking them in the place the tumble drier resides ,this pumps moist air out and may result in them rotting .. when they are really dry .put them in an envelope  and mark with the name of the variety ,they will last for years if kept cool and dry  :wink:
still alive /............

David.

saving tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 14:40 »
I do it basically the same up to the final draining bit, when I drop the seeds onto a few layers of kitchen towel and dry them off as much as possible before putting them in a bowl on the mantel to dry off completey as I find it ensures that none of the seeds dry out stuck together.

And that 'smell' - my wife thought we had a dead rat in the greenhouse.

xx
saving tomato seeds

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 14:28
by Eristic
xx
Saving tomato seeds

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 15:06
by azubah
xx
Saving tomato seeds.

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 19:08
by Goldfinger
xx
Saving F1 tomato seed

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 07:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 34 queries.