saving tomato seeds

• 6 Replies

new_2_veg

saving tomato seeds
« on: October 04, 2008, 23:13 »
hi all,

i want to save some seeds from some tomatos i have grown from seed that i was given (by someone on here you know who you are ANNE  :wink: )

i was just wondering what the correct way was to do this?  didnt want to do it wrong and not end up with any for next year as they are lovely

thanks

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
saving tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 23:20 »
which ones were they Nathan?  I can't remember now.  the proper way to do it is to wash the seeds in a tea strainer or something to get all he tomatoey gunk off, put them in a jar with some water, and swizzle them around occasionally for about 3 days, then wash them again and dry on kitchen towel, but when I can't be asked to do that, I just stick them on a bit of kitchen towel, when they are dry, fold it up with the seeds still on and put it into a little envelope clearly labelled.  

they still grow!  just peel a seed off the paper and plant it as normal.  It doesn't matter if a bit of paper sticks to it as it will rot away once the seed is in the ground.

new_2_veg

saving tomato seeds
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 23:40 »
you sent me a couple i think last crimbo time, its the plum ones i want to grow again (cant remember for the life of me what the others where) but none of them grew :cry:   (i expect i did something wrong)

i will try the paper towel ide i think and see how i get on.  one last silly question  do they need to be fully ripe?

thanks

nathan

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
saving tomato seeds
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 23:45 »
The plum ones could have been floridity?  They wer the F1 toms that I saved the seed because I didn't know they were F1 and they still grow, but larger than the originals!!!!

I think the seeds are better from a properly ripe tomato, but I don't know as no expert. :lol:

new_2_veg

saving tomato seeds
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 23:52 »
that sounds right,

i had all mixed sizes comming on mine, they are one of the best ive ever had or tasted!.

i tryed pink brandywine and russian something or something russian   and none of them grew  :cry:

compostqueen

saving tomato seeds
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:59 »
I saved seeds from toms the other day and just as GA described on kitchen paper.  I peeled them off once dried but you don't have to :D

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
saving tomato seeds
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 14:28 »
Tomato seeds should be scraped out of the fruit and left in a jar of water for about 3 days. Give and occasional stir. Wash and drain off all the crud until seed is clean, then spread on a kitchen towel or J cloth until dry. Job done.

This method gets rid of all the unwnted pulp that can cause mould and disease and aids germination later.

xx
saving tomato seeds

Started by muntjac on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 14:40
by David.
xx
Saving tomato seeds.

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 19:08
by Goldfinger
xx
Saving tomato seeds

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 15:06
by azubah
xx
Saving F1 tomato seed

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 07:01
by Growster...

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 35 queries.