Any ideas please?

• 4 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Any ideas please?
« on: July 22, 2010, 13:17 »
A young lady had 2 young RIR's off me weeks ago.  They were about 6 weeks old.  She is trying to get them in together, but its not working.  I was going to suggest beak bits, but it not pecking, but sounds like all claws and feathers flying.  Her existing 2 girls are Pekins.  this is what she said to me in her email.

"i would be very grateful for any advice you could give me about putting them in with my original hens i have tried and its not nice, they are happy to roost together at night but the minute its light all hell breaks loose. They are in a separate run next to the other girls in the day, but i really need them all together."

and this morning:

"Its my older girls trying to get rid of the newbies!they are pekins, and its all feathers flying fighting, she won't give in even when shes got them pinned down.
They are all just about the same size now as well.

I might try when its cooler shutting them all in the coup together for 36 hours?"

She also thinks one of the RIR's is a cockerel, but whether hat makes a difference I don't know!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Any ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 21:37 »
How about suggesting that she swaps them around and puts the new girls in the original run and the old ones in the new seperate run for a couple of days. This way the newbies can get established a bit better. She will still have some pecking order squabbles when they do go back together but hopefully the younger birds will be a bit more sure of themselves. Also tell her to make sure she has several feeders, drinkers and places for them to hide and escape to. They may be the same size but they do not have the confidence of the older hens. If one of the young ones is a cockerel it shouldn't make any difference at this age - it will only make a difference when he gets older and starts to dominate his girls and then once they accept that he is top chook he will keep them in order.
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 22:34 »
Thanks Joy, I will pass that on to her.  Except if it is a cockerel, I don't think she can keep him!

I'll also ask her if perhaps they could all free range like yours do, rather than be in a run.

bluecharlie

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 22:49 »
Hi i had the same problem with my 2 new hens,the oldies just wouldnt let them into the house at night,so i did what joyful sugested,it worked a treat,the oldies are still bossy but the new ones cope now,good luck

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 23:09 »
Thanks for the input bluecharlie!  I have mentioned this to the young lady concerned, but I haven't heard back from her yet.  Hopefully she is trying it out! 

xx
Ideas for treats!!!!!!

Started by karenjayne on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:36
by Lindeggs
clip
Any ideas on breed please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 12:54
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Any ideas on first lays?

Started by Lacocklady on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 21:18
by Lacocklady
xx
Chicken's not laying.....any ideas's?

Started by Little jack on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 16:58
by CluckyChicken

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 29 queries.