I pad 3 - slow charging

• 4 Replies

mrs bouquet

I pad 3 - slow charging
« on: September 21, 2019, 16:20 »
I have let it get very low, and has now been on charge for 24 hours and it is only up to 90%.   Is this usual ?
I have a lead which goes into the side of, and then into wall socket direct.  I do turn the machine button off.

Any comments appreciated,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

Re: I pad 3 - slow charging
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 18:57 »
The threes are getting on a bit nowadays, Mrs B, so you may be seeing a little old age creeping on. Our threes take a long time as well, but eventually get there! (Same old story..;0)

Might be worth getting a google search going, as there sure are millions of others out and about, who may well be experiencing what we're all getting!

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 19:24 »
It could be your charging lead? Do you shut all your windows after using them? That slows it down but I don’t know if it will stop it charging fully.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 22:24 »
Thanks for your replies.    Yer, getting on a bit.    I shall investigate now.   It did finish its charge at about 9pm
I shall not let it get so low again.     thanks,  Mrs Bouquet

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 10:21 »
It won't matter that you let it get low - it is properly designed to protect itself. The iPads have a large battery and it can take a good while to charge it from low. Even if you use them till the device shuts off,  there is always a safe reserve to protect the battery.

As for charging habits, Lithium batteries don't care if you use them to "zero" and charge fully each time or use "a bit" and just top up. They don't really care.

One thing to check - are you using an iPad charger or an iPhone charger? The phone chargers are slim - barely more than a 3-pin plug in size while the iPad chargers are a little bulkier with a block on the back. The rate at which they can charge differs. You will never harm any Apple device by plugging it into a different Apple device's charger but if you are charging an iPad from an iPhone compact charger it will just take longer.

Also make sure you are using a genuine Apple charger or certified high quality one, not a cheapo third party one from a car boot sale or similar. The cheap ones are often faked.

If it is convenient (and I appreciate it may not be) you can always take any Apple device into an Apple Store and ask them to check the Battery Health. They have a tool they can use to interrogate the battery controller and it will not wipe anything on the device. If they report a tired battery you then have the option of asking for an out of warranty replacement battery to be fitted.

EDIT : I should add that my old iPhone 5 (2012) still had a reported 92% battery when I passed it on this year and my iPad 2 still reported 100% although I will admit it was lightly used. My nephew and niece now have it as a home iPad under their mum's supervision.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:23 by DanielCoffey »

xx
Tesco charging twice

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 12:09
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.