Cleaning pebbles in run

• 8 Replies

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Cleaning pebbles in run
« on: February 17, 2011, 18:28 »
My ground is heavy clay and I have put down pebbles in the girls run, which is fine it works, and I hose it down every couple of days at night time to allow as much time as possible for the water to sink into the ground.  I worry though that it's going sour underneath.  Can I wash it or water it with a Jeyes fluid dilute or something else to freshen it up a bit?  my girls do peck about in it though so it has to be safe for them -any ideas would be welcome, thanks

sheridan

Re: Cleaning pebbles in run
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 13:50 »
Can't help but i'm bumping it, as my run is clay with pebbels and shingle too, and I do the same as you, but it still HONKS after a bit, and I end up taking the whole top lot off and dumping it every few months.

SamnElla

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 14:16 »
Unfortunately as it is heavy clay the water won't drain away(clay being impermeable), so all you are basically doing is adding more stuff to the soup going on underneath.
Can I suggest that you wash it down less and poo-pick a bit more (I't a sh***y job but someone's got to do it)
As to curing the problem I can't help, but the following might make it a bit better :
Remove the pebbles back down to the clay layer,
Drive some holes down as far as you can into the clay (a bit of steel reinforcing rod would be good) this will take the water away from the pebbles,
Then put a layer of gravel down,if you put Jeyes down underneath the gravel it will go into the holes and keep it away from the pebbles.
Then put the stones back down on top, that should help with the drainage a bit.
Hope this helps
It's all good in da wood

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 16:48 »
we have heavy clay and our soution is a thick layer of builders sand and poo pick eveery day . It works and alot easier to dig up and repalce every so often

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 17:42 »
If you can't get the water to 'sink' then the only way is to create a drain as suggested or create a slope in the clay soil underneath away from the run. Either way, you will need lots of water then to wash it clean. If the poo goes into the ground then bacteria will break it down; anaerobic at depth and aerobes near the surface so no nasty pongs arise. If you haven't any suitable soil under the gravel then washing the pooy stuff out, so it can sink elsewhere or be evaporated is the only answer - unless you want to build a septic tank.

sheridan

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 18:57 »
Hmm, I think we'll have to go with a big mix of sand and pebbles then. It makes no odds how often I sluice it out, it still pongs, and it's impossible to poo pick as i'm out most of the day and the madams tread it in and down. Even with a bottom layer of hardcore on the cly, sand, then soil and pebbles, it still gets soggy. I do live in the Fens though, it does stay damp a LOT.
Is there any truth in the saying that garlic powder makes their poo smell less?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 21:16 »
I had gravel in my first ever run but found that the poo sticks and dries onto it and eventually all we had was stinking, heavy, disgusting mess :(

we then tried rubber mats..... even worse..... now I put shavings down but my run is dry so not really the same problem :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:42 »
No not true that garlic makes poo smell less, my girls have it in their feed all the time and the poo still stinks.  I can't poo pick either, the tread it in before I can do so, unless I spot some that's just been dropped (lovely) :tongue2:

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 12:33 »
Stalosan is a unique Broad Spectrum Disinfectant

For regular use with all farm livestock, companion animals and poultry.

Stalosan reduces smells, dries bedding, and prevents disease, it is scientifically formulated powder, safe to use and easy to apply, designed to improve the environment in which all animals and birds are kept by acting on harmful pathogens, reducing moisture and potentially dangerous noxious gases such as ammonia. Used regularly Stalosan prevents disease and the production of ammonia, resulting in a better environment for healthier animal or bird. Apply at 50 grams per square meter.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

xx
cleaning

Started by MRS PEPPER POT on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 08:28
by ehs284
xx
cleaning up poo!

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 12:44
by coco
xx
Winter cleaning

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 08:43
by Sassy
xx
Cleaning Eggs

Started by Charlie's Chickens on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2009, 09:17
by Charlie's Chickens

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.