marrow recipes

• 5 Replies

kezlou

marrow recipes
« on: August 24, 2008, 21:20 »
I have not tried these recipes yet but i'm planning too over the coming weeks, so thought i'd share them with you.
They were all from this website:-
http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/

So if they yucky don't blame me blame google :lol:

Marrow and Ginger Soup Recipe with Marrow, Onion, Ginger, Stock, Milk, Cream and Butter
INGREDIENTS
4 lb (2kg) Marrow
1 Medium Onion
2 oz (60g) Butter
1 inch (2.5cm) piece of Ginger
1 pint (600ml) Stock
1/2 pint (300ml) Milk
1/2 pint (300ml) Cream
Salt & Pepper
METHOD

Finely chop the Onion. Peel and grate the ginger. Peel, seed and dice the Marrow. Heat the butter in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion until translucent, but do not allow to brown.

Add the diced marrow and ginger and cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft. Puree using a sieve or blender, return to the saucepan and then add the milk, cream, salt and pepper. Bring back to the simmer and serve.
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

kezlou

marrow recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 21:20 »
Marrow Casserole Recipe with Marrow, Butter, Milk, Parsley and Flour
INGREDIENTS
1 medium sized Marrow
2 oz (50g) Butter
Salt & Pepper
Milk
Parsley
1 tablespoon Plain Flour
METHOD

Peel and quarter the marrow, remove the seeds. Wash it and cut each quarter into four. Put the marrow into a buttered casserole with the butter cut into small pieces. Season well and cover.

Cook the marrow gently in the oven until tender, basting occasionally with the butter. When cooked, drain off the liquid and make it up to 1/2 pint (300ml) with milk. Pour this into a saucepan and thicken with flour, smoothed in a little milk.

Bring the sauce to boil and boil it for a few minutes, constantly stirring. Season and pour over the marrow. Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.

Enough for 3 or 4 people.

kezlou

marrow recipes
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 21:21 »
Marrow Custard Recipe with Marrow, Milk and Eggs
INGREDIENTS
3/4 pint (450ml) Sieved Marrow
1 1/2 (900ml) pints Milk
2 Eggs (Beaten)
Salt & Pepper to taste
METHOD

Heat the milk but don't let it boil. Stir into the sieved marrow in a bowl. Season to taste, then stir in the beaten eggs. Cook at once in a shallow buttered pie dish or in ramekins, placed in a baking tin containing a little hot water. Bake on a low heat in the oven until the custard has set. The mixture must not boil.

Enough for 3 or 4 people

Marrow Recipe with Marrow, Onion, Butter, Milk, Mace, Cayenne Pepper & Vegetable Stock.
INGREDIENTS
1 Young Marrow
1 Small Onion
2 oz (50g) Butter
1/2 tsp White Pepper
1 pint (450ml) Milk
1 Blade of Mace (or a pinch of Nutmeg)
A Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
1 pint (450ml) Vegetable Stock
1 tbsp Corn Flour
METHOD

Peel the Marrow, remove the seeds and cut into large squares. Peel the Onion and slice it thinly. Melt the Butter in a saucepan and add the Marrow, Onion, White Pepper and Salt. Place on the lid and allow the contents to gently cook until tender, but do not let them brown. When ready rub through a fine sieve.

Boil the Milk with the Mace and Cayenne Pepper. Turn off the heat and allow to infuse for 10 minutes. Put the Marrow puree into a clean saucepan, add the Stock, and bring to the boil. Take the Mace from the Milk and add it to the Marrow and Stock, stirring all the time.

Mix the Corn Flour in a little cold water or Stock and stir it into the boiling soup. If too thick, reduce with a little more Milk or Stock. The stock can be omitted altogether, and only Milk used, if preferred. Season to taste with a little more Salt if necessary. Serve with croutons of fried bread.

Marrow Jam Recipe with Marrow, Sugar, Apple and Ginger.
INGREDIENTS
2 lb (900g) Peeled Marrow
1 1/2 lb (675g) Sugar
1/2 pint (300ml) Apple Extract
1/2 teaspoon Citric Acid
1/2 oz (13g) Root Ginger
METHOD

Remove seeds from the marrow and dice it. Sprinkle with sugar, cover and leave overnight. Then put all the ingredients into a pan and boil gently for 1 1/2 hours or until the marrow is clear and the jam sets when tested. Remove the ginger; pot and cover at once.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
marrow recipes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 22:10 »
Marrow Custard??!! :shock:

liskeardlass

marrow recipes
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 22:50 »
Marrow custard - yukkkkkkkkkkk.
 x x  :D true dedication required!

kezlou

marrow recipes
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:31 »
Not sure about the marrow custard, but MIL is on the atkins diet and is always feeding me marrows or courgettes. So this year she coming to mine for Christmas and is wanting a desert with marrow custard. So i'll be making a batch for her and we'll have the cheap one out of Aldi hmm nice.

xx
Marrow recipes please!

Started by jacnal on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 00:03
by jacnal
xx
Quantity of Marrow for Marrow & Ginger Jam

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 17:24
by cheshirecheese
xx
Marrow?

Started by gardgydja on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 09:32
by kezlou
xx
what to do with marrow

Started by mum of 3 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post September 16, 2006, 08:36
by chutneymaster

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 40 queries.