breeding ducks

• 4 Replies

freshers

breeding ducks
« on: December 19, 2008, 17:08 »
hope to breed my khaki campbells in the future, anyone have any advice/links to help me?
i have no idea if i will need incubators or if the girls can do the job themselves.
Mr duck seems to enjoy his piggyback rides almost daily so he is up to the job anyway!

Sassy

breeding ducks
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 17:43 »
I'm most certainly NOT an expert, but from what I have been told ducks don't make good mothers and a broody hen can be a boon. However, I know 2 people in the village who have raised ducklings from their ducks - if you see what I mean :!:  :oops:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Vember

breeding ducks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 19:23 »
I have used both a broody hen & an incubator to hatch ducks :)
Alot less stress if you can go with the broody hen, with the incubator getting the humidity right is the key to a good hatch.

The thing with allowing them to do it themsleves is the slightest disturbance and the duck will shift and not go back to the eggs.
I think Muscovies are the best breed for hatching their own babies as they are more likley to go broody :)

Sarah :D

flocko

breeding ducks
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 22:04 »
We hatched Call ducks by incubator, broody hen and Mother duck. The best results were gained by Mother duck doing the job herself.

Ducklings can be very difficult to hatch by incubator so if you can get a duck to sit on her own eggs for 28 days without getting bored (as they often do and get off the eggs with only a few days to go) its better for the ducklings. A broody chicken will also do the job but problems can arise later when the ducklings want to take to water.

Kate and her Ducks

breeding ducks
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 17:04 »
I hatched my ducklings last year from an incubator and envy all who have a broody hen. Think you will be lucky if your Campbells go broody. In almost 2 years mine have not shown the slightest inclination even when I left a couple of eggs for them to sit on. As Vember says muscovies have a good reputation as mothers in the duck world but there are other breeds who have a tendency to go broody. Mallards and calls are meant to be good according to my book.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
Breeding ducks?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2009, 08:19
by joyfull
xx
have ducks stopped breeding now???

Started by lisa123 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:11
by lisa123
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Breeding?

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:47
by death of rats

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.