Coronavirus now a pandemic

• 15 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Coronavirus now a pandemic
« on: March 11, 2020, 19:43 »
The  WHO have declared the Coranavirus a pandemic.

The following is from the BBC news pages.

The coronavirus outbreak has been labelled a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO).

It is a term that the organisation had refrained from using before now.

A pandemic describes a disease that is spreading between people in multiple countries around the world at the same time.

WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it was now using the term because of deep concern over "alarming levels of inaction" over the virus.

Wherever you are stay safe , stay well.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
Re: Coronavirus now a pandemic
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 17:05 »
There is a vaccine for seasonal flu - but it is killing more people than COVID 19 on a daily basis. Yes Corona virus is scary because there is no vaccine for it yet but it seems it is being blown up out of all proportion.
Some people are dying but most suffer milder symptoms than a dose of the flu.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 17:25 »
Listening to an American scientist last evening, he said that the term 'pandemic' is purely descriptive of how measures can be activated, not necessarily how many people - numerically - are affected!

So now I know I suppose...

It is an ugly word though, and the 'flu pandemics of old will be recalled lots of times from now on, which may scare lots of people unnecessarily!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 18:19 »
Cue more mindless panic buying.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 20:25 »
Probably right, Plotters!

We do need some spuds tomorrow though...

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 21:46 »
Cue more mindless panic buying.

Very true.

As most of these panic buyers will probably have ' loyalty' cards , then the supermarkets could quite easily identify if the need requires . As we all know , the ' big four ' know more about our shopping habits than we do.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 13:04 »
It's more like pandemonium at the moment. Every time I put the news channels on all I hear is about this. Surely there must be other things just as important out there so let's just get a bit of balance.  >:(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 13:06 »
It's more like pandemonium at the moment. Every time I put the news channels on all I hear is about this. Surely there must be other things just as important out there so let's just get a bit of balance.  >:(
Well the government conveniently used it to slip out an announcement that badger culling was going to be phased out. (That's not me taking a stance on the subject, just showing how something that would normally draw attention has slipped under the radar completely!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 13:32 »
I noticed it when it was widely reported on the 5th March, so I don't think they were 'trying' to hide it at all ..  ;)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51753393

https://news.sky.com/story/badger-culling-to-tackle-tb-in-livestock-to-be-phased-out-govt-announces-11950062

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 13:59 »
Ha, I know it was widely reported, but what I meant to say they knew it wouldn't make headline news or provoke more public debate :)

jezza

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 15:37 »
Hello  I suppose that now we'll have all these claim companies ringing about making claims for missed or cancelled holidays and cruises jezza

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 17:55 »
Hello  I suppose that now we'll have all these claim companies ringing about making claims for missed or cancelled holidays and cruises jezza

The dark humourist in me (not), tells me that we'll also get a load of double-glazing companies ring up to sell 'self insulation'...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:23 »
Some good news for treatment...
Wales' biggest hospital has become the first in the UK to use a potentially groundbreaking "antibody transfusion" treatment on coronavirus patients.
The treatment being carried out on patients at the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) in Cardiff uses the blood plasma taken from people who have already recovered from Covid-19.
Their plasma is then transfused into other patients with the coronavirus to help them fight the infection more quickly.
Recovered patients are being invited by letter, if eligible, by Public Health Wales to donate blood to the scheme.

Senior professional advisor to the Chief Medical Officer, Dr Gill Richardson, said: "Convalescent plasma is plasma that is collected from patients who have recovered from disease, in this case Covid-19."Plasma from patients who have recovered from the virus will contain antibodies that a patient's immune system has produced to fight the virus. This can be transfused to patients whose immune systems are struggling to develop their own antibodies.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-transfusion-wales-cardiff-18087216

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 16:20 »
Wales' biggest hospital has become the first in the UK to use a potentially groundbreaking "antibody transfusion" treatment on coronavirus patients.
The treatment being carried out on patients at the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) in Cardiff uses the blood plasma taken from people who have already recovered from Covid-19.
Their plasma is then transfused into other patients with the coronavirus to help them fight the infection more quickly.
Recovered patients are being invited by letter, if eligible, by Public Health Wales to donate blood to the scheme.

Senior professional advisor to the Chief Medical Officer, Dr Gill Richardson, said: "Convalescent plasma is plasma that is collected from patients who have recovered from disease, in this case Covid-19."Plasma from patients who have recovered from the virus will contain antibodies that a patient's immune system has produced to fight the virus. This can be transfused to patients whose immune systems are struggling to develop their own antibodies.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-transfusion-wales-cardiff-18087216

It's a fairly common method of treatment for other ailments but isn't guaranteed to work for covid and you've also got to wonder why it's not already been tried. There was an article I saw yesterday where a professor from (I think) Nottingham was bemoaning the fact that he'd offered his experience in this field to the UK government over a week ago but had no reply - I'll try and find the link.

Mr Dog

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 16:25 »

Plasma treatment is reasonably common for a number of ailments. There's obviously no guarantee it will work with covid. I have seen it mentioned as a possible treatment a few times and have a feeling the Chinese may have tried it?

xx
Pandemic films to watch

Started by Longshanks on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2021, 10:28
by basketcase
xx
Local tradesmen, victims of the pandemic

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post September 27, 2020, 07:21
by Growster...
xx
Coronavirus.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 20:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Coronavirus

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post January 31, 2020, 16:43
by Aidy

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 55 queries.