Strawberry Barrels.............?

• 13 Replies

Wirral Kev

Strawberry Barrels.............?
« on: January 20, 2012, 22:55 »
Hi all,

Thinking of buying one. Dont really have much room in my garden.

Any tips welcome....

I have seen this one one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STRAWBERRY-BARRELS-PLANTERS-GROWING-YOUR-OWN-FRUIT-VEG-/230731445546?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Pots_Window_Boxes_CV&hash=item35b8aa752a

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Strawberry Barrels.............?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 22:56 »
I've not grown in one of those but have had a smaller herb planter along similar lines.

I found that the compost dried out quite quickly at the sides, and that when watering from the top, the water ran out through the holes.

I suggest you would need a central watering pipe of some description to ensure watering from the middle.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 23:09 »
I got one of these and was a bit concerned by how flimsy it was - it's effectively corrugated plastic, and I find that the plastic pockets often pop out if you're not careful. That said, it seemed to hold all the compost in it, and I would have had a lovely crop of strawberries if the pesky vine weevil hadn't got to them first!

One other thing - when it's full of compost, it's really too heavy to move without breaking it, so the strawberry plants at the back will have difficulty getting the necessary sunlight.

I'm actually replacing it with a couple of smaller terracotta versions, which might be easier to manipulate.

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 23:14 »
I grow strawberries in a planter, though not quite as big as the one shown. As Yorkie says it needs frequent watering - I put a central tube in with holes and gravel to help with the water distribution.
My biggest problem is also vine weevil  :tongue2:
I do not want to treat with chemicals and it hardly seems worth buying nematodes for one pot. Last year I lost all my plants - the pot was full of larvae. Fingers crossed for this year.

Mine is on a wheeled trolly so it gets turned regularly - oh and you have to net to keep the birds off  :lol:
Not trying to put you off, the strawberries are lovely!

Elaine

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:09 »
I was thinking of converting an old bue water barrel for strawberry planting. Good idea or waste of time?  ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:52 »
it looks like this one comes with the watering pole in the centre anyway so that solves that problem  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 13:31 »
I was thinking of converting an old bue water barrel for strawberry planting. Good idea or waste of time?  ???

It should work if you follow the advice re central watering that is needed, and have enough drainage at the bottom
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 16:40 »

We have an old copper water tank - similar shape and size to these -  which we lined and made into a planter and grew strawberries very successfully in it for a few seasons. My main concern with this would be how to create pockets down the sides of a plastic container.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 16:53 »
Wirral Kev, I had one of those featured on Ebay. I actually made a flat wheeled platform for it to stand on after 1st year as moving it without wrecking it became a nightmare

Other snags were:

1 Difficulty in keeping it evenly moist. If I was starting again with one I'd mix water-retention granules (and slow release fertiliser) in with the compost

2 The pockets tend to flip out quite easily

3 for many reasons that probably included uneven watering and depleted nutrients in the compost, the yield was poor compared with plants in open beds

TheSpartacat

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 18:53 »
I got the same one three years ago and had all the same problems that AlaninCarlisle mentioned.
I wouldn't get one again, as the yield didn't impress me at all, compared to the ones in the ground.
The central water pipe helps, but even still, its difficult to evenly water, with water coming out the bottom and overspilling the catch reservoir long before you've soaked the compost through... so its not very water efficient in my book... and similar problem with feeding- half the liquid feed comes out the bottom...
It was also flimsier than i expected, like plastic coated cardboard, though its still standing after 3 years, it looks quite cheap. Not nearly as nice as the terracotta ones for the patio. If i was to get one again, i'd opt for terracotta.

Or grow strawbs in hanging baskets out of the way of slugs... i find it easier to water / liquid feed hanging baskets by filling a water barrel and dunking the basket into it until its absorbed as much as it can... then hang over the barrel to allow it to drip back into the water barrell... no waste of liquid feed!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 19:01 by TheSpartacat »

gobs

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 18:57 »
Wirral Kev, I had one of those featured on Ebay. I actually made a flat wheeled platform for it to stand on after 1st year as moving it without wrecking it became a nightmare

Other snags were:

1 Difficulty in keeping it evenly moist. If I was starting again with one I'd mix water-retention granules (and slow release fertiliser) in with the compost

2 The pockets tend to flip out quite easily

3 for many reasons that probably included uneven watering and depleted nutrients in the compost, the yield was poor compared with plants in open beds

I'd summarise:

Absolute flipping rubbish they are.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 19:03 »
Don't mince words, gobs, get to the point   :lol: :lol:

gobs

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 19:07 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 19:55 »
Once upon a time I also had a nice little terracotta strawberry planter - the cute little lipped planting holes turned out to provide the perfect homes for woodlice, and the stems of the strawberries the perfect fast-food for them (they didn't even have to ring up for home delivery!)  :wacko:

(I don't have gob's unique way of expressing myself but suffice it to say I was underwhelmed by it - almost any other growing technique is likely to work better.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Barrels

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 03, 2023, 16:10
by pepsi100
xx
Where do these blue barrels come from?

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:46
by randombod
xx
Carrot Barrels

Started by Loudbarker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 09:40
by Loudbarker
xx
Whiskey barrels

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 21:07
by DD.

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 37 queries.