Rabbit Pregnancy.. AGAIN

• 12 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
Rabbit Pregnancy.. AGAIN
« on: March 14, 2011, 17:01 »
My rabbit had two kits about 4 months ago. I seperated them (as they were two boys) at 8 weeks old. This morning she had made a nest.. Is it possible for her to be pregnant again?! I don't understand how because i seperated them at the age they should be... I'm so confused, can anyone help? She's built a nest so i don't know if it's a false pregnancy. Thanks

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
Re: Rabbit Pregnancy.. AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 17:19 »
rabbits have alot of fun,
because there are alot of them,
why is there alot of them?
cos rabbits have alot of fun!! :D

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 17:21 »
sorry, couldn't resist it. :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 18:15 »
Chloe, so she hasn't been with any male rabbits in the last 8 weeks?

Then I doubt she would be pregnant - but I know very little about rabbits!

Have you though about getting the girl rabbit spayed?  it would stop all of the confusions.

Also, the boys should be castrated, as even if they are brothers, they will start to fight, and rabbits will fight to the death sometimes  :ohmy:

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 18:21 »
I sold the two brothers to a friend. And so she hasn't been with any male for 8 weeks. Thats what is confusing me  :wacko: But she has built a nest and is acting strange.. so any idea's?  :blink:

maxyboo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 18:55 »
Chloe, the rabbit gestation period is 4-4 1/2 weeks so it's very very unlikely she is pregnant.  Perhaps her hormones are still confusing her.  Some bunnies do nest periodically. I have one who does it every few months but  I just remove the nest to try and discourage it.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 20:22 »
I hate to put a spanner in the works but rabbits have the ability to suspend a pregnancy until the feel secure enough to deliver, they can also get pregnant, whilst pregnant, crafty wee devils >:(

I only know this because more years ago than I care to remember it happened to us when we rescued a rabbit from the animal sanctuary I helped at ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

maxyboo

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 21:17 »
Wow Evie2 I have never heard of that and I work regularly at an animal sanctury too. Lets hope it is a rare event then. I assume your rabbit is not showing signs of stress Chloe. You say she is acting strange. In what way?

Pepperpincushion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 13:38 »
Quite likely to be a phantom pregnancy. Speying is the best bet as it will prevent female reproductive cancers that will affect 80% of does by the time they are 5 years old  ;)

evie2

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 14:52 »
I know maxyboo, it came as a shock to us too but the vet assured us it happens :(

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 16:32 »
She still hasn't given birth but is taking hay to the nest.
She is behaving normal again, she was just being a bit stroppy. But i'm not so persuaded to think she is pregnant now.. but i felt her ' tits ' and the are out so does that mean anything?

Casey76

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 18:36 »
If she is having a phantom pregnancy, then the hormones will actually make it possible for her to lactate.

This can be quite uncomfortable, and leave her susceptible to mastitis (and infection of the mammary glands).  If I remember correctly a vet can give her an injection to make the hormoes subside - or if not will be able to give you specific advice for this particular rabbit  :)

Gerty333

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 21:37 »
I have a female and neutered male together and my female has a phantom pregnancy just about monthly. THe first time she did it I thought she had actucally caught somehow but she just seems to enjoy building a nest (or perhaps its just pulling the bucks fur out). She displays all the signs of being pregnant so i wouldn't worry too much  ;)

xx
Rabbit Cages.

Started by fuzzy1983 on Pets without Feathers

19 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 10:57
by ANHBUC
xx
Pregnant rabbit? ..

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

20 Replies
Last post November 21, 2010, 14:20
by evie2
xx
What to do with a lost rabbit?

Started by jimthejimjim on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2011, 15:11
by stompy
xx
Rabbit Spraying

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 20:15
by Caralou

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 39 queries.