advice about soil and planting of crops

• 2 Replies

moggyj

advice about soil and planting of crops
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:37 »
hi folks, i'm new here and new to growing veg. I'm currently waiting for my allotment plot and have started to plant in my garden.

i have dug out a veg bed 1 metre square and the soil seems to be sticky but full of worms ( which is a good thing ) i have forked in a bag of compast and some sharp sand and left if over night.

i have some green hurst shaft peas which are about 7 cm high and carrot chanteny which are about 7cm high also. My issue is i'm not sure when to plant them into the ground? they have been out side in a tray for a few days and seem to be ok.

Should i wait longer for the soil to settle in or risk it and plant them this weekend??

Hope someone and help, speak soon folks

Neil

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: advice about soil and planting of crops
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:23 »
Once you have prepared your soil there is no need to wait, you can plant straight away. Your peas will be ok but carrots are  usually sown straight into the ground - not sure how they will take to transplanting.
Have they been grown in a greenhouse/somewhere warm? if so they will need hardening off a bit (gradually acclimatised to outside temperatures) before planting out.
Rachael

moggyj

Re: advice about soil and planting of crops
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 15:20 »
the carrots and peas where outside at homebase when i bought them. i have gone and built a 6 inch raised bed  1 metre square and planted the carrots and peas in rows. i got 18 peas and 8 carrots, also planted me rooted spuds. will just have to keep an eye on them and see how things go.

Neil

xx
Please remind me- which crops do not like a manured soil?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 13:06
by snowdrops
xx
Soil preparation for root crops.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 13:01
by Kleftiwallah
xx
planting spring crops

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 15:44
by missmoneypenny
xx
Planting more crops between rows?

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 22:56
by Endymion

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 28 queries.