Carrot varieties?

• 19 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrot varieties?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 09:02 »
Slugs and snails are rather fond of young carrot leaves (and the small black keel slugs of the roots too!)

They can be even more of a problem if you net securely against carrot fly and hence let them get on with their evil deeds "under cover" - chucking some slug pellets underneath is a good idea, especially as you won't risk affecting other wildlife.

Before I stopped leaving it to chance and invested in netting the tell-tale sign of carrot fly attack was always the leaves starting to turn red.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:05 »
I was just about to say slugs love the seedlings!  I've sown a few early nantes and amsterdam forcing this weekend and sprinkled the blue pellets around!

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58 »
Yes it will be slugs ive been there and done that with the seedlings they demolished them overnight,i have to put slug pellets down.
As long as you keep the soil moist once youve sown the seed till they come through,then protect against slugs and carrot fly,a piece of mesh is about £20 and one of the best investments ever for the garden,a few hoops to hold it up as well.
Then give them a decent thinning out,i just lift the edge of the mesh and work along,no need to take it completely off,a few weedings as well from time to time,providing youve got a half decent soil they should be ok.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 12:51 »
I got desperate last year and so planted slug bait with the seeds --- we had small black sluge that lived underground  :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jock100

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 15:30 »
try eskimo comes high recommended in scotland they leave it in the ground and dig them as they need them in the winter but just cover them with fleece for frost

xx
Carrot fly resistant varieties

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:04
by gobs
xx
Any experience of carrot fly resistant varieties?

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 11, 2017, 15:23
by Growster...
xx
carrot fly resistant varieties - do they work?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:44
by bashful_badger
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 36 queries.