coins

• 9 Replies

mrs bouquet

coins
« on: March 30, 2020, 14:14 »
I have read that coins carry the virus better than paper money, but cannot find info on how long for or how to clean them.  I ask because a neighbour has just dropped a bag of them through my door to pay for shopping.
At present they are laying on my kitchen floor  :ohmy:  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

Re: coins
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 14:38 »
I have read that coins carry the virus better than paper money, but cannot find info on how long for or how to clean them.  I ask because a neighbour has just dropped a bag of them through my door to pay for shopping.
At present they are laying on my kitchen floor  :ohmy:  thanks,  Mrs Bouquet

Spray them with multi surface cleaner, scoop them up -cover your hands in cling film or a bag then put them in hot soapy water (comfortable to your hands) and give them a good scrub. You can leave them to steep if you fancy, with or without multi surface cleaner.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 15:24 »
Thanks for your advice.   I have now left them to soak in cleaner in an empty yogurt pot.
It just reminded me of my parent golden wedding anniversary.  I found a small jewellery box which was like a little treasure chest.  I ordered 50 x £1.00 coins from the bank which weren't very shiny when they arrived.  So I scrubbed them and soaked them in bleach for a couple of days, and they looked like gold at the end.  Put them in the "Treasure Chest" and Dad and Mum were thrilled.  :)    Mrs Bouquet   Thanks again

jezza

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 19:59 »
Hello I had to go to the local shop today I wrapped the coins in a sterile hand wipe the shop were quite happy to accept the coins this way as they have no gloves or hand sanitizer (the owners are that tight) unless they provide their own jezza

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 09:17 »
You could just leave them for a day or so, the virus will not last long on metal, only a few hours. Or you could wash them with soap, which is antibacterial (any soap.  All these ‘antibacterial’ claims are just marketing. Hot soapy water kills just as many microbes). No need for gloves, or cling film. Good hand washing will be sufficient, which you will be doing anyway as you wash the coins.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 11:19 »
Every December 25th, we used to play cards - 5 card brag mainly, for halfpennies.

One of my uncles spent ages polishing his up using HP sauce...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:30 »
Good morning everyone,  I hope you're all still vertical?

In Penrith Cumbria where I spent most of my formative years they still have a "Plague Stone".  I think it is now in a garden area near a relirement complex  on the road to Kemplay Bank roundabout.  It is a carved stone about 2 foot cubed with a small indentation in the top where vinegar was poured and coin payment for goods ware placed for steralisation.
https://www.explorepenrith.org.uk/cg/panel8/

Perhaps we should bring back "Plague Stones".  Cheers,  Tony.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 13:19 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 12:39 »
This morning's news re- how long does this virus last on what sort of surfaces it seems that anything made from copper only lasts about three hours so before you have to out put some copper coins in your pocket that have been in a mixture of Coco-Cola and HP sauce for an hour or so. How this might work for paper money I couldn't possibly say but it may be worth a try with a £5 note.

I've attached a pic of a local plague stone showing a hollowed-out stone filled with vinegar which helped to stop the spread of the infection by cleaning the coins left by infected people which they left in payment for their food, but that was a bacterial infection and not a virus.
Local plague stone. (600 x 401).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 13:14 »
How this might work for paper money I couldn't possibly say but it may be worth a try with a £5 note.

I just spray everything with multi surface cleaner. I've put a few spots of dish soap in as well.

I've attached a pic of a local plague stone showing a hollowed-out stone filled with vinegar which helped to stop the spread of the infection by cleaning the coins left by infected people which they left in payment for their food, but that was a bacterial infection and not a virus.

Thank you for sharing that.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 16:19 »
In the interests of research, I'll offer to receive any coins which need looking at, and self-isolate them in our bank account to 'rest'...

;0)

xx
GrowsterBank pound coins...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 16:09
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 50 queries.